Sign in to follow this  
Travis The Red

Leather Bracelt

Hey, I'm fairly new to leather working and I've been fooling around with some different patterns on a few pieces of scrap leather and I wanted to make a simple leather bracelet. However, the other day I wrapped a piece of it around my wrist and I noticed after a few times of doing this my patterns started to come undone. I was wondering if anyone can tell me why it's doing that and how to prevent it so when I make it won't lose its patterns after a short time. Any insight is really appreciated, thanks.

Hey, I'm fairly new to leather working and I've been fooling around with some different patterns on a few pieces of scrap leather and I wanted to make a simple leather bracelet. However, the other day I wrapped a piece of it around my wrist and I noticed after a few times of doing this my patterns started to come undone. I was wondering if anyone can tell me why it's doing that and how to prevent it so when I make it won't lose its patterns after a short time. Any insight is really appreciated, thanks.

Travis,

I maybe wrong but are you using an untreated piece of veg tan leather or perhaps a finished color leather of some type? You can somewhat stamp any leather but the best way is to start off with a piece of veg tan leather and then case and stamp the leather and finish it off with a dye and a sealer. Other types of leather will not usually allow you any depth of impression and may even try to return to it's original state. Good luck and welcome to leatherworker.net.

Storm

Travis,

I maybe wrong but are you using an untreated piece of veg tan leather or perhaps a finished color leather of some type? You can somewhat stamp any leather but the best way is to start off with a piece of veg tan leather and then case and stamp the leather and finish it off with a dye and a sealer. Other types of leather will not usually allow you any depth of impression and may even try to return to it's original state. Good luck and welcome to leatherworker.net.

Storm

Thanks Storm, I didn't even know what casing was until you mentioned it and I looked it up. As for the sealer I don't have any at the moment so it completely slipped my mind, are there any particular brands you would recomend? Thanks again for the help.

Thanks Storm, I didn't even know what casing was until you mentioned it and I looked it up. As for the sealer I don't have any at the moment so it completely slipped my mind, are there any particular brands you would recomend? Thanks again for the help.

Hi Travis,

If you are using Vegtan then you should be alright. Finish is up to persoanl taste. I like Satin Shene and others may like Super Shene or Dr. Jacksons. The main thing is to seal your leather. A protective coating if you will.

Storm

Hi Travis,

If you are using Vegtan then you should be alright. Finish is up to persoanl taste. I like Satin Shene and others may like Super Shene or Dr. Jacksons. The main thing is to seal your leather. A protective coating if you will.

Storm

Storm, where do you get your sealers?

Storm, where do you get your sealers?

HI Sarah,

For the most part I get a lot of my supplies from TANDY. There is a store in West Colombia, South Carolina. Follow this address and it will take you tall all there info as well you will be on the TANDY site and can do some searching at your leisure. LOL! Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Storm