Sign in to follow this  
JLSleather

Stencils / Adhesives

Anybody found a RELIABLE way to stick a stencil/mask without residue? I've used spray adhesive, "low tack" frisket film, and rubber cement all with SOME success, but nothing I'd want to trust with a pricey project. Hoping someone has found something that works all the time. With a broad design, or lettering, I don't mind holding up stencil material, or usiing weight, but you try holding all those rose petals in place ... AND the airbrush ....

That last almost got to be a handbag was only a couple sq. feet of cow, so we'll call that an inexpensive LESSON ...

Edited by JLSleather

have you tried masking tape? the blue stuff its not suppose to leave anything behind.

have you tried masking tape? the blue stuff its not suppose to leave anything behind.

I'd test that on a scrap first - my experience (even with the blue stuff) is that it leaves little if anything on surfaces like glass/chrome and other very "sealed" surfaces but on something porous like leather I've found that it does indeed leave a fair amount of trace

Appreciate you both. I had forgotten all about the blue stuff. I stuck a piece of REALLY low tack frisket on a piece of scrap, and if you put it at an angle in the light and see where the frisket was. Rubber cement usually works, but discolored that last piece a bit. Well, I'll keep trying ...

Appreciate you both. I had forgotten all about the blue stuff. I stuck a piece of REALLY low tack frisket on a piece of scrap, and if you put it at an angle in the light and see where the frisket was. Rubber cement usually works, but discolored that last piece a bit. Well, I'll keep trying ...

I use freezer masking tape that butchers use for meat wrap. It leaves a residue but if you wet the leather again the residue disappears and leaves to sign. ITS PERFECT

I use freezer masking tape that butchers use for meat wrap. It leaves a residue but if you wet the leather again the residue disappears and leaves to sign. ITS PERFECT

Hmmmmm, very interesting and bordering on brilliant! :) Will have to try that - Thanks!!