Sign in to follow this  
ashlyngr

Knife Sheath Liner

Hello, I bought a nice Knife for my cowboy getup and need advice on if I should use a lining material in the sheath, and if so what to use if I should? The sheath that came with the knife isn't as heavy for the knife as I would like, and I want to do away with the snap for period authenticity

Thanks in advance,

ashlyngr

A lining really isn't necessary however a welt along the edge side is useful to protect the stitches.

I have used deerskin and pigskin before, but generally for most things I use thinner veg-tan.For all my CAS sheaths and holsters I use veg-tan.You should stay away from any chrome tanned hides as most CAS stuff is carbon steel and prone to rusting.Dave

I don't believe that sheath linings in leather sheaths were all that popular in that time period except for perhaps rawhide, but I'm no historian. I don't believe linings are usually necessary, but they can add to a sheath aesthetically, certainly. I would say rawhide liner with veg-tan outside--it will provide good retention but still using period (kind of, anyway) materials. Now, if somebody like Chuck from Wild Rose comes in here--anybody who does period work (because I just do modern stuff)--listen to them instead :P

~Noah

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I would like to add a concho to the front of my sheath. I'm thinking of a lining to protect the blade from the concho screw. I have placed a Texas Star conchos on other leather rigs.

Guns of The Old West Magazine did a story on Geronimo's holster. Although his was fully adorned, a singulair concho on my knife sheath coordinate with my other pieces.

Thanks Again,

ashlyngr

I use screw back conchos on many of my sheaths. I use 8-10 oz. veg tanned leather for all sheath work. When attaching the conchos I take the concho to my belt sander and shorten the screw protrusion so it does not go past the leather thickness. I shorten the screw a little also. I put a drop of thread locker on the screw before putting it in (so the concho will never work loose and fall off). After screwing tight I use shears and cut a little circle out of some thinner veg leather and contact cement that over the screw. I use the rounded end of a tool handle to press the patch down hard all around to set the glue well. I shudder to think of a screw scratching one of my blades. Works for me.

Plain Ol Bill, sounds like a good Idea. My concho will sit high near the mouth of the sheath. I could run a strip of skived 4/5 oz across the concho screw and have it double as bevel for my welt.

Thanks,

ashlyngr