steadybrook

Manual Splitters

What are the best kind of manual splitters to use for general splitting and lap skiving?

Edited by steadybrook

What are the best kind of manual splitters to use for general splitting and lap skiving?

well i use roo which is thin but very tuff , i splitt it to about .8 of a mm what do you want to split ??? cow , roo , ??

http://www.bwrwhips.com/index.html

Edited by Bevan

It depends on how much you plan to use it, what kind of leather, and how much you want to spend. If I could only have one or was buying new - it would the be the Keystone from Campbell Randall. It is a twist handle model like the Osborne 84. That style is the most versatile.

I like splitters a lot, and here's a link to some of the oldies I have and some explanations of them - Old Splitters Each of these kind of have a special area they shine. If I could only have one it would be the Krebs style I guess. Second would be a Chase. Third would be a crank skiver for laps or a Spittler or twist handle for longer laps.

Thanks for the help,looks like the krebs is going to be the choice for my small saddlery.