Sign in to follow this  
mleathers

Edge Coating Belts

I am grateful to all members who participate in the Forums,

My problem I have is edge coatings on my belts. I have not seen one product as of yet that will perform well on our belts. I use belts grade latigos from Hidehouse and Waterhouse and other various distributors. I also use water buffalo leather as well. I CAN NOT use any sort of wax content edge finishes. They either flake off, wearoff onto pants, or degrade over a very short period of time. I have used acrylic resin based products with some success but It does not adhere to the edge of certain hides that have any sort of oil in it from the tanning process.

I need a product that will bond with the fibers of the leather hides(8-10oz) . I have an old belt made in China with edges that resemble epoxy and the edge coating still looks new.

I have seen a women purse, made in Peru, that has edge coating on the straps that has not degraded at all after 15 years.

Any advice from our more experienced craftsmen and craftswomen?

I have used Fiebings, LCI and Key Laboratories products so far BTW

Edited by mleathers

I am grateful to all members who participate in the Forums,

My problem I have is edge coatings on my belts. I have not seen one product as of yet that will perform well on our belts. I use belts grade latigos from Hidehouse and Waterhouse and other various distributors. I also use water buffalo leather as well. I CAN NOT use any sort of wax content edge finishes. They either flake off, wearoff onto pants, or degrade over a very short period of time. I have used acrylic resin based products with some success but It does not adhere to the edge of certain hides that have any sort of oil in it from the tanning process.

I need a product that will bond with the fibers of the leather hides(8-10oz) . I have an old belt made in China with edges that resemble epoxy and the edge coating still looks new.

I have seen a women purse, made in Peru, that has edge coating on the straps that has not degraded at all after 15 years.

Any advice from our more experienced craftsmen and craftswomen?

I have used Fiebings, LCI and Key Laboratories products so far BTW

latigo is by tannage an out door leather stuffed with oils n stuff not conducive to further penetrating dyes,other than oil dye. try wetting th edge then slide saddle soap over edge and burnish with wood slicker adios pete

I'd send a personal message to Ed Santoro (esantoro). He did some pretty exhaustive evaluations of edge coatings a year or two ago, and he might have some tips and tricks regarding the products he's using now...

Good luck!

I believe Hidepounder was the one who had a really neat post a few months ago on a book cover. Check what he did, . . . it may be your answer.

May God bless,

Dwight

I believe Hidepounder was the one who had a really neat post a few months ago on a book cover. Check what he did, . . . it may be your answer.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Folks,