loopinluke

Chrome Tanned Pig?

Does anyone know where a person could find chrome tanned pigskin? I had a hornwrap out the stuff and I really liked it. I would like to buy a hide to cut up into horn wraps but I cant seem to find it anywhere. I sure appreciate any help given.

That's something I have never seen - or at least, never noticed! You might try asking around at some of the smaller outfits - Brettuns Village in Maine has some unusual things, they might have an idea.

I'd love to find some heavier (8-9 ounce at least) vegetable tan pig, as I have an antique sidesaddle stripped down to rebuild that was originally made of heavy veg tan pig.

KAte

I may be wrong, but I think you're probably looking at pig printed on cow. Wickett & Craig may do that for you. I have the impression that the old pigskin saddles were pig glued and stitched to cow with the back bone in the center of the seat and the rest on the skirts and flaps. At least that's the only way I've seen them.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Does anyone know where a person could find chrome tanned pigskin? I had a hornwrap out the stuff and I really liked it. I would like to buy a hide to cut up into horn wraps but I cant seem to find it anywhere. I sure appreciate any help given.

Call Greg Gomersall,I know he uses it

Sheridan Leather Outfitters carries it. Their info should be floating around here somewhere.

Ross

I may be wrong, but I think you're probably looking at pig printed on cow. Wickett & Craig may do that for you. I have the impression that the old pigskin saddles were pig glued and stitched to cow with the back bone in the center of the seat and the rest on the skirts and flaps. At least that's the only way I've seen them.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Well, could be, except that where the leather is scuffed badly (hide scarf knocked clean off it) the hair cell pattern is still pretty clear - and in spots does appear to run clear on through to the leveled back of the hide. So, I think it just may be actual pig leather - I'm told by people who know more than I do that it was pretty commonly used for sidesaddles, for some oddball reason.

Hey, I did find this

http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/tooling-leather-veg-tan-leather.html

scroll way on down to the bottom if the page - yep, there it is.

NOW to come up with the money..... got to buy a bunch of medical supplies, my freshly injured baby brother is coming to stay with us while his foot heals up some.

Kate

I talked to Greg and didnt have any luck with the outfit that he told me to talk to, unless I want to buy a few hundred hides..lol. I have talked to Sheridan Leather before and they said they didnt have it anymore so I dont know. I may just try the chrome elk they have and see how it works. I just liked the pig hide because it outlasted the mulehide and chap leather that I have used before, and stayed wrapped better than when I roped on latigo. Thanks for the help all.

Luke,

I have good feedback from customers with the chrome elk I have put on for them.