Sign in to follow this  
justken

Bison Skirting Leather

Had a customer call me today asking if a saddle could be built using bison leather. Does anyone make skirting leather out of bison? If so,how well does it tool?

I don't know of any well known tanner who is putting out bison skirting. My concerning with using skirting from a small tanner is their ability to turn out a well tanned product that will hold up over time. I think I would ask the customer why he wants bison leather in his new saddle and then point out pit falls and try to steer him to a quality skirting for his new saddle. Sorry I could not be of more help......

There's an article in 1980 Horse and Horseman magazine about Jim McGill teaching the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe to build saddles from buffalo hide. Sounds like the grain itself was the main attraction. The business was called Sans Arc Sioux Saddlery. The last I heard of McGill, he was in Texas building boots.

Kevin

I would call Hermann Oak up and get thier read on it. The other option is to get a hold of The Leather Guy and buy some crome tanned bison and over lay it onto regular skirting.

David Genadek