Sign in to follow this  
itchaguide

Halter Lining

I want to make a halter/bridle combo, so far all the stuff I have made has not been stuff that has had me worried about sweat (saddle bags, scabbards etc) so I have not lined it.

my question is what is the most economical leather to line it with? keeping in mind that I might never use the leftovers so I don't want to buy $200 worth of leather to line one halter.

What a great source of information, I visit often and read old posts and it is great to see so much good info shared..

Thanks in advance

Rod

[quote name='itchaguide' date='15 April 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1271371793' post='151492

I want to make a halter/bridle combo, so far all the stuff I have made has not been stuff that has had me worried about sweat (saddle bags, scabbards etc) so I have not lined it.

my question is what is the most economical leather to line it with? keeping in mind that I might never use the leftovers so I don't want to buy $200 worth of leather to line one halter.

What a great source of information, I visit often and read old posts and it is great to see so much good info shared..

Thanks in advance

Rod

You can.t beat using the same material to line with. eg. double and stitched bridle leather or harness or latigo. Proper care and leather dressing is what will make it last.

by the way I got a nice boo in the itchas last fall. judging by your handle you guide in that country

Andy

Well, probably isn't the most economical, but I think the best leather would be a good quality latigo. I always try to get the best quality so it's expensive, but you might be able to shop around, or there may be places that will just sell a small amount. Chris

You can.t beat using the same material to line with. eg. double and stitched bridle leather or harness or latigo. Proper care and leather dressing is what will make it last.

by the way I got a nice boo in the itchas last fall. judging by your handle you guide in that country

Andy

Thanks Andy, I will go with doubled harness leather, what would you recommend for dressing?

I do guide in the Itchas and hope to be back up there this fall, lots of boo and some big moose up there if you are fortunate enough to draw a tag for the rut and know where to look :-)

Rod

I use 4 ounce Herman Oak to line some of the bridles and halters I make.