Sign in to follow this  
bz4736

Fish Scale

How do you get a "Fish Scale " look? What knid of stamp would you use to make it?

A Mule Foot, but use it lightly. Al Stohlman gives a good example of that in his book Figure Carving Finesse. It would depend on how big the scales are, but a rounded Mule Foot would be better, depending on what type of fish you are doing.

I have done a fish scale patten that was based on the quilted look I have done. I used a cross hatch beveler. It takes some laying out but I liked the results doing it freehand so that the scales are irregular and more natural looking. You can see my take on it here.

I have used the Stohlman method too and it of course looks good.

Here are some other topics that covered scales that look really helpful.

First from Clay...

And this one is on a motorcycle seat.

Edited by TTcustom

How do you get a "Fish Scale " look? What knid of stamp would you use to make it?

How big is the fish? This one off a small wallet, using a 411 veiner (or was it 412 ... if this is the look you want I'll go check). Fish is about 3 1/2" long.

How big is the fish? This one off a small wallet, using a 411 veiner (or was it 412 ... if this is the look you want I'll go check). Fish is about 3 1/2" long.

I had forgotten about using the veiner, and that is another way that Al Stohlman showed. Using the veiner and the mule foot were the first ways I learned. But like you said, it all depends on the size of the fish. Fish scales, or dragon scales done on something like a belt, is pleasing to the eye, and different looking; it's all in the effect that is wanted by the craftsman.

Sorry I was thinking about a fish scale look instead of a basket weave. Thank everyone that has gave input. It has defiantly given me more ideas on future projects.