Sign in to follow this  
drof99

Machine basic suggestion

I have been hand sewing all my stuff together. I have really enjoyed making holsters and would like to be able to make more. Hand sewing for me is the worst part. Right now I am using 8-9 oz leather for my holsters. I am looking for suggestions as what to buy for a machine. I would like to be able to sew the holsters without having to worry if I can make it through the leather. Most times it is just folded over once but I'm looking at a new design that I might have to sew through 3 layers of 8-9 oz. What size of motor would I need for that or how do you tell the "size" of the machine. What do the machines go by to tell how thick they can sew? What are the other basic stuff I should know about before looking around. I wish I had a grand to spend but I just don't. I'm looking for something used in good shape so I can save money. Where are good places to look for used machines? Does anyone know of any good books for sewing leather with machines? I know that I'm asking alot of questions but before sewing leather I couldn't even sew a button on. You will have to talk to me very basic because I know nothing about these machines.

An Artisen Toro 3000 is the machine you need. It will do what you want and then some. Very reasoable for around 2000.00. I think Dave from Artisen lurks around here so he may give you some other advise. I have had one of these machines for 3 years and would not trade it off for any other machine I have seen yet. Great customer service is just a phone call away.

RC

RC is right. I have been using my Toro 3000 for 2+ months now and wow it saves time and allowed me to do twice the number of holsters in less time than before. A win-win in my book and the Artisen folks are great to work with.