moeg

Naugahyde ?

Hi all,

a friend gave me what looks like a leather jacket to take apart for small projects. The flesh side of the material has a mesh like material. Is this the way that garment leather is reinforced or am I the proud new owner of naugahyde junk pieces ? I've never worked with leather jackets and was hoping that this would work for making wallets and stuff.

The bottom of the picture is the flesh side and the top is the grain side.

Moe G.

DSCF0005 (Medium).JPG

post-14483-12725593503_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

a friend gave me what looks like a leather jacket to take apart for small projects. The flesh side of the material has a mesh like material. Is this the way that garment leather is reinforced or am I the proud new owner of naugahyde junk pieces ? I've never worked with leather jackets and was hoping that this would work for making wallets and stuff.

Moe G.

Congratulations you are "the proud new owner of naugahyde junk pieces"

Hi all,

Moe G.

I was told a long time when NAUGAS are hunted only one is killed and that one

is a years supply of....NAUGHIDE........ :cheers::rofl:

The "mesh flesh" is the sure sign of Naugahyde (Uniroyal) but is also indicative of other "pleather" products. It is really polyvinyl chloride which is extremely stretchy, hence the woven stabilizer. I have never seen the Nauga in the wild, but I understand that they are a very large animal that has the sole ability to shed it's skin in a perfectly "tanned" condition on huge rolls. It was indigenous to a region around The Borough of Naugatuck, Connecticut, but that population has become practically extinct. A new herd of these creatures was discovered in Stoughton, Wisconsin, and are still being exploited today.

Art

Hi all,

Moe G.

This reminds me of when a person brought a travelling case to me to repair a few years ago and was stamped in gold lettering "Genuine Imitation Leather".

Tony.