Sign in to follow this  
LawDawg

Sporrans...

Many of you as laether working artisans have inspired me to... Well let's say stray off the beaten path. Scottishoemaker! I was intrigued by your use of wood intigrated into your work... With that said, I pulled out the pattern box, conducted some ducsting and dug out a part of my past that I hadn't seen in quite some time. I located enough scrap to cut all the pieces out of, and probably like all of us, started improving the blasted thing until I backed myself in a corner. I used copper plate that I domed and covered those with leather, similar to a quarter circle aproximately 1.125" wide. I have gone through every celtic knot book I have in my library (a lot !) and have drawn a blank, I have made these conchos in the past using the same method and filigreed the leather to reveal the copper underneath. I will eventually post some pictures of the sporran as soon as I get some pics and figure out how to upload them to LW. In the meantime and suggestions I would find helpful. Keep in mind this sporran is a roundtop hunting style. I used to be good at this, I guess I'm getting older.

Thanks,

Dan

Many of you as laether working artisans have inspired me to... Well let's say stray off the beaten path. Scottishoemaker! I was intrigued by your use of wood intigrated into your work... With that said, I pulled out the pattern box, conducted some ducsting and dug out a part of my past that I hadn't seen in quite some time. I located enough scrap to cut all the pieces out of, and probably like all of us, started improving the blasted thing until I backed myself in a corner. I used copper plate that I domed and covered those with leather, similar to a quarter circle aproximately 1.125" wide. I have gone through every celtic knot book I have in my library (a lot !) and have drawn a blank, I have made these conchos in the past using the same method and filigreed the leather to reveal the copper underneath. I will eventually post some pictures of the sporran as soon as I get some pics and figure out how to upload them to LW. In the meantime and suggestions I would find helpful. Keep in mind this sporran is a roundtop hunting style. I used to be good at this, I guess I'm getting older.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, you could use a simple knot design like these:http://www.identifont.com/samples/bannigan/CelticKnots.gif

..or honor a Family name by emblazoning it in there in Celtic type script/font like this:http://www.ireland-information.com/freecelticfonts.htm

Being a hunting sporran though, you could do zoomorphic, like this: http://celtic-tattoo.net/zoomorphism_zoomorphic_pictures.aspx

Your choices are almost limitless.

Cheers LawDawg, Go with whatever YOU like, thats the only reason I went with wood, coudn't buy what I wanted so made it!! If its a hunting style sporran try and incorporate themes from hunting. simple things sometimes help.

To all,

Thanks for the help... I attended the Highland Games in Prescott this weekend. I had the chance to study some very unique Sporrans, and got creative today... Monday I think ! I was working a twelve and covering for one of the Officers that was attending his mother east of here, so please pardon the horrible grammer! It's amazing what sleep deprivation does to a body after awhile. Anyway... I drug out the Pipes and Kilt, and fun was had by all. I will eventually have pictures, when things slow down a little ! But for now, thank you for your motivation and keep up the good work ! Scottishshoemaker... Let me know if I can assist in getting you what you need for another Sporran. Wait until you see the cantle and let me know. I would be honored to assist.

Daniel

Cheers LawDawg, Go with whatever YOU like, thats the only reason I went with wood, coudn't buy what I wanted so made it!! If its a hunting style sporran try and incorporate themes from hunting. simple things sometimes help.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,

As promised, the begining stages of my sporran. As I stated before, the pieces on the top are domed copper, covered with yearling. The cantle is made of 5-6 veg tan and the sporran front is of deer tanned cowhide. This started as a scrap bin project and kept evolving until what is present. The two side pieces have not been fillegreed as of today, as the wife received a new Chihuahua puppy for Mothers day and baby sitting him is a full time job until he's house broke. I will post more pics when it is complete. Thanks to all for your assistance.

Danielsporran 001.jpgsporran 004.jpg

To all,

Thanks for the help... I attended the Highland Games in Prescott this weekend. I had the chance to study some very unique Sporrans, and got creative today... Monday I think ! I was working a twelve and covering for one of the Officers that was attending his mother east of here, so please pardon the horrible grammer! It's amazing what sleep deprivation does to a body after awhile. Anyway... I drug out the Pipes and Kilt, and fun was had by all. I will eventually have pictures, when things slow down a little ! But for now, thank you for your motivation and keep up the good work ! Scottishshoemaker... Let me know if I can assist in getting you what you need for another Sporran. Wait until you see the cantle and let me know. I would be honored to assist.

Daniel

post-14652-127368190225_thumb.jpg

post-14652-127368202936_thumb.jpg

No probs Daniel I'll keep you in mind, got a few different projects on the go at the moment so when I get time to do more sporrans I'll hopefully have new ideas for new ones.

Hi Daniel did you ever get this one finished ?

Just to confirm what I think I have figured out from this thread - the cantle is the top part of the sporran? Despite having a lot of Scottish blood in me, I have never heard the term before in regard to sporrans. Can anyone give a precise definition of the word and where it came from?

Just to confirm what I think I have figured out from this thread - the cantle is the top part of the sporran? Despite having a lot of Scottish blood in me, I have never heard the term before in regard to sporrans. Can anyone give a precise definition of the word and where it came from?

Yes...the Cantle is the top portion of the sporran, often in metals [military or dress] and where it opens [like a hunter style]. http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sporran+cantle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Z8PDTK3FB8T58AaYiOXXBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEEQsAQwBA&biw=1024&bih=653

As to the etymology of the word, the only thing I find is in reference to a saddle cantle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporran

but I also found this http://wordsdomination.com/cantled.html and it references what I believe could be the reason it's called a Cantle. I marked the parts in bold red.

Definition of CANTLE

1: a segment cut off or out of something : part, portion2: the upward projecting rear part of a saddle

Origin of CANTLE

Middle English cantel, from Anglo-French cantel, chantel,diminutive of Old French chant side, edge — more at cantFirst Known Use: 14th century---------------------------------------------------Being that a Cantle both "projects upward" like the shape of a rainbow...AND it's the top edge of the Sporran...is the only thing I can think of as to why it's called as such.

I believe he top piece is sometimes called a "cantor" also.