Sign in to follow this  
firewallsrus

Scorpion Grips

My diamond plate grips started shedding chrome within a month of purchasing my Sportster, but I ignored it at the time since my dealer assured me that Harley Davidson doesn't stand behind any of the products they market for their bikes. A year or so after purchase, the rubber inserts started falling out which left some sharp edges on the grips. I covered these with some 6 oz. oil-tanned leather sewn on with regular black thread from my wife's sewing machine. This thread wore out after two years and started unraveling this past winter. Last week, I got around to taking the old leather grips off entirely. I hadn't been satisfied with the way they slid around sometimes on the chrome grips beneath, so I was going to put rubber cement between the chrome and the leather.

While I was at it, I wanted to try something I had thought about with lace in a contrasting color. In re-attaching them, I used rubber cement except for about 3/4 inch on each side of the joint in the bottom, which I left unglued so I could more easily sew them in place. For thread, I went ahead and used waxed shoemakers thread and used a triple loop pattern.

gallery_14558_403_144855.jpg

gallery_14558_403_1184255.jpgI would love feedback on the results.

gallery_14558_403_15957.jpg

I use to be a warranty manager for harley and your dealer is full of crap .

They were warrantably .

Chain

Well if that is what you were thinking of.......it might get you in trouble! Some of your buddies are going to want some too. Good thinking!