Sign in to follow this  
chevygirl

Does Anybody Recognize This Mark On My Saddle?

I aquired an old saddle that I originally didnt see a mark on. But low-and-behold, under the dirt and grime was a mark. It is very faint and wont show up in pics (sorry!). It is on top of the horn. A very large "W" with a small saddle outline over it. Also, there is a 703 stamped behind the seat. It appears to be an old style barrel or all-around saddle.

Any ideas??

A pic of the whole saddle might help

That appears to be from a company that was a division of Big Horn in the late 60s to early 70s located in Chattanooga Tenn. It was simply called "Western Saddlery" if my memory is correct.

Blake

That appears to be from a company that was a division of Big Horn in the late 60s to early 70s located in Chattanooga Tenn. It was simply called "Western Saddlery" if my memory is correct.

Blake

I appreciate the reply :) I've never heard of Western Saddlery before, but good to know! I have some people wanting me to give them a price on it, but I have no idea what to ask for this one.. Any suggestions?

Blake I'd wondered about Big Horn as well as it appears to be their stitching pattern on the seat.

That's Western Saddlery's mark. (I have one from about 1968 that's two tone antique with square skirts.) A lot of times they were also marked on the fender. Many of their designs incorporated horseheads carved on the fenders, as well.

I found a bunch of these in a pile of old Western Horseman magazines from about '66 through the early 70s. They were basically an economy saddle with a lot of the identical features of the Big Horns, particularly the modified elephant ear cantle design.