Garange

Sewing Stitcher/machine For Holster Building

I appreciate everyones feedback and opinions with my posting concerning what type of sewing machines others use and own for holsters and other leather projects. With the positive opinions with the Cobra models I did call Steve with Leather Machine Co. today and discussed my options with him. Nice guy, very knowledgeable. With the apparent reputation of the machine and Steve's assurance and importance of customer support I'm moving toward spending the extra bucks and placing an order for the Cobra Class 4.

Sewing by hand verses powered machine is like digging sewer lines with a shovel versus a backhoe. You can do it either way. But if you want to make any money you better have a backhoe or trencher.

I've never used a Boss and i would guess it is faster then doing by hand. But it seems that folks are having problems with the newer ones. Or that's what i have read on here anyway.

Great example! I completely agree. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Gary

Edited by Garange

I have no first hand experience with the Tippmann Boss, so I can't make any personal observations of them. I do know of three different people who started out with one and have switched to a different machine due to difficulties with tension adjustments or timing issues.

After much deliberation, I personally chose to go with an Artisan Toro 3000 machine. I purchased it through Springfield Leather Co.. Kevin spent a little time familiarizing me with the machine and sharing a couple of tips on operating it before I left. Within the first month of use my servo motor quit working, so I called Springfield Leather Co for customer support. I drove up the next day and Bo actually gave me a new Artisan motor (one that he had already purchased for his own use) so I wouldn't have any down time, and even contacted Artisan to handle all of the return issues on my motor. I am very satisfied with the Springfield Leather's customer support, and their willingness to help when I was just getting started with machines. I recommend that anyone within driving distance should give serious thought to dropping in for a visit before their next machine purchase.

As for the machine itself, I am completely impressed with how easy the Toro models are to operate, especially for beginners. The controls are simple, the tension adjustments are not difficult to use, and the machine is easy to control with the servo motor and the speed reducer. Keep it oiled and clean, and feed it quality thread, and it will perform flawlessly.

I really like my Boss - But......

I really hate the screw that sticks out of the needle plate. It dings up the back side of my holsters. Perhaps it's time I upgrade to the Holster Plate - it will work better with my holsters anyway. Or I guess I could file the top of the screw off, but in my opinion that really should not be the responsibility of the buyer - it's a design flaw in my opinion.

Not really looking forward to stitching belts with it.

Wish the throat was a little wider - some of my holsters don't really fit unless I curl the holster up a bit (yes, I've tried stitching from the opposite direction too). It's hard to manually cycle the stitching handle, while curling the holster with your left hand - it's pretty awkward.

Wish it was easier to lube - suppose I need to get an oil can with a flexible tube on it because the little metal cans of machine oil don't really work very well. I have it bolted to a counter, and I don't have easy access to the back without leaning over the counter.

All that being said - it was the best I could afford at the time, and I didn't want to go into a lot of debt to get my little holster hobby/business up and running. Overall I'm happy with the Boss, but I'm looking forward to the day when I can pull the trigger on a powered machine.

Garange,

I'm guessing it's likely you have already checked out this thread...

http://leatherworker...opic=23140&st=0

.. but if not, it's worth reading, alot of opinions either way. I went with a used Tippmann Boss, as I only build (on average) about 2 -3 holsters per day when I'm in the swing of things. IMO, unless you are really producing alot of holsters (or your wallet is really fat and don't mind the expense of a Cobra), a Boss is a smart way to go. Mine works as advertised here (meaning it is somewhat touchy about tension and getting the backside stitching to look just right) but even w/ the minor issues it saves such a huge amount of time over hand sewing that the "weak link" in my production (time wise) is no longer the sewing. Sewing is now the easy part. having said all that, after looking into it, if I ever have to build ten holsters per day I'd probably buy a Cobra 4 (especially after reading the testimony of how easily it sets up with regard to tension, etc) . Why 4 and not 3? Because the increased throat depth would enable me to more easily sew big stuff if I chose to, and IMO the extra $300 is negligible when you're already shelling out a couple grand.

I run two layers of Gorilla tape over the needle plate of my Boss and it solves the issue of the screw that particle spoke of. Tippmann recommends this for sewing thin and furry materials, but I found it works well all the time. I bought mine used from someone here on these forums for 1K. It sewed fine when I got it, but I disassembled it and cleaned it and used a product called GunButter to lube it with. I have no financial affiliation, but this high speed stuff is slick and it stays where you put it. I noticed such a difference with the way my AR's and my Production division Glock run on it I used the Trigger and Locking Lug grease to run in most of the gears and moving parts. It runs real smooth now :thumbsup:. The only part you don't want to use gun oil or grease on is the bobbin shuttle, as it will get the thread oily (yeah, I coulda' thought that through better before learning that). Now I run Kano Kroil in the bobbin raceway. 3 in 1 would obviously work too, but I have an incessant desire to tinker with things to try to get them to work better.

Have fun spending your money!

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and experiences especially with a newbie to the site. After careful consideration I bit the bullet and ordered a Cobra Class 4 today from Steve at Leather Machine Co., Inc.

Will be a few weeks before delivery but believe it will be worth the wait.

I've been starting to wonder, why's everyone buying the Cobra Class 4 machine lately? Was there a sale I didn't know about?

Edit - compared to a Class 3

For what I'm doing (holsters), I haven't run into "I don't have enough room" on the arm length.

Edited by Shorts

I've been starting to wonder, why's everyone buying the Cobra Class 4 machine lately? Was there a sale I didn't know about?

Edit - compared to a Class 3

For what I'm doing (holsters), I haven't run into "I don't have enough room" on the arm length.

And you probably never will Shorts. It's kind of a guy thing. Always, if you can, buy larger than what you think you'll need. On the premis it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Anyway it's only about an extra $300 or so.

And you probably never will Shorts. It's kind of a guy thing. Always, if you can, buy larger than what you think you'll need. On the premis it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Anyway it's only about an extra $300 or so.

I figured that's what it was. I understand it though. I do have some of that tendency come down the line from my dad. You know, why use a regular hammer when the sledge will do? I think my too practical husband (read: my "how much?" husband) puts a wet towel on those tendencies :rofl:

I am driving a big Dodge Cummins to haul my lonely self around. And thank goodness I don't need the tow capacity to move me from point A to point B :lol: A gasser V8 will fill my needs just fine - but don't tell anyone I said that!

Edited by Shorts

Yeah, ditto on the Cobra class 4 machine. i called Steve last august and got the summer special. you won't go wrong with the cobra class 3 or 4 . sewing machines seem to be more competitive in price than a year or so ago. right now i'm making custom leather pen sleeves for a pen making ( supplier ) site. some of the leather is pretty thin. that big cobra 4 does a good job on it. it absolutely penetrates 3/4 " of leather easily also. i like the idea of sewing without having to punch so many holes by hand. leather stitchers are very kool and fun to sew with. not too hard to learn on either. hope this helps.

Just received the Cobra 4 a few days ago. I really like it and can tell it's a quality piece of equipment. Man it's heavy! I just started playing with it today and believe I will figure out the concept pretty quickly since I have never sewen with a machine before. Steve is great with his support and has never failed me when I've called him with concerns or questions. I have no regrets with my purchase and hope to use this stitcher for years to come.