Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Line 24 Snap Press

I'm poking around the used market for a Line 24 snap press (DOT snaps). I use the hammer and punch die set right now but thinking it's paid for itself long ago and I can "splurge" :)

I'm not in a hurry and not needing to buy new. If you've got something you're thinking you don't need, let me know. Must be in working order with the dies. I don't want to hunt around for parts.

Thank you

You can spend a bunch of money on a dedicated press, OR....

Get an Arbor Press from Harbor Freight, it's cheap. My snap dies came from one of the bigger commercial hardware suppliers with a 3/8" stem on them.

Drill a 3/8" hole in the base plate of the press and another in the bottom of the arbor with another perpendicular to it for a set screw. I'm not big on mentioning non advertisers on forums, the guys who pay the freight should be deriving the sales benefit, so if they don't have it, shoot me an e-mail and I'll tell you who to contact.

There is a knife supply house that sells the press with the holes added in if you don't feel like messing with it for about $40 more.

Perfect for snaps, eyelets and if you're cagey, you can order a maker's stamp "PLATE" epoxy it to a block of wood and install a stem for the press. The impressions are always perfect.

You'll find yourself using the arbor press for everything.... and it'll [pay for itself in nothing flat.

If you need a pic of mine to help visualize it, shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks SharpShooter. I was looking at them wondering how I'd need to convert for the dies (without expensive trial and error ordering parts). I appreciate the details.

Monica,

I did the exact same thing. I bought a harbor freight arbor press($40) and had some holes machined by a guy I work with(free). I bought a set of line 24 snap dies from Tandy ($60) so I thought I was home free for about $100. WRONG. Line 24 snap dies will not work with Pull the Dot sockets. I had to buy one more individual die which I got from Dot ($75 for one die). So I am finally in business for a buck 75. Like sharpshooter, I use it to punch holes for t-nuts, set rivets, etc...

By the way, you can use the old setter you have been using in the arbor press with out any extra modifications. Just pull the handle instead of swinging the handle.:smashcomp:. I could never go back to the old way again and I am sure your volume is much larger than mine.

Carl

I'm poking around the used market for a Line 24 snap press (DOT snaps). I use the hammer and punch die set right now but thinking it's paid for itself long ago and I can "splurge" :)

I'm not in a hurry and not needing to buy new. If you've got something you're thinking you don't need, let me know. Must be in working order with the dies. I don't want to hunt around for parts.

Thank you

I have just what you need. $250. Snowman 601.497.1832