Clay

Tooling Bench Almost Compleated

I have started on my workshop and I can hardly wait till it is done so that I can start pounding leather. The first project I have done is a new tooling bench. There is a space in the garage in between the water heater closet and the heater/ac closet that was just the right size for a tooling bench. I think the space was ment for a freezer. I used a quality particle board with a laminated surface for the top of the work bench. The front edge of the bench is set back 10 inches so that I could have the bench under my elbows with out having to lean forward as much. I cut out the center so that I could drop the granite slab in and make it flush with the surface. When it is all done there will be shelves both under the bench in the space to the right and left of where I will sit and also on top of the bench. I have a tendancy to over build and this thing was a beast to get inplace by myself. but I think it will be sturdy and make a good work bench. I plan to build another 8ft x 4ft cutting table and a smaller 8ft x 2.5ft counter type space when this bench is done. Those along with more shelving and I will be up and running!

post-255-127740971914_thumb.jpg

post-255-127740970494_thumb.jpg

hi Clay, i really like the ideal of having the cut out in the front. I think if i was you i would bring the 2x4's that hold your slab out even with the front of the cut out. Particle board isn't the most stable thing to build out of. That way it would keep the front piece from cracking over time. It may not crack but why take a chance. Just my thoughts.

Be sure and post pictures when you the rest built. It's always great to see some else's ideals and set up.

John

Edited by dirtclod

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 8- 2x3's supporting the weight of the rock. They run from left to right from the front of the bench and are attached to 2x4's that run from the back to the front. Then to go over kill, I have another 2- 2x4's that scab it all together. I will post a picture of it later this evening.

I see your point of adding a little more support to the front edge. Will look at it some more..Thanks

I just finished the shelves for the lower protion of the work bench. They came out ok but I had to re-cut one of the shelves to get it to fit. Here is a picture of the bench with shelves added.

post-255-127741990205_thumb.jpg

I started on work bench number two this morning. I thought I was done with it, but after looking at the photo I think it needs some more legs in the middle and a shelf under the side across from the drawers. I spent half the morning trying to figure out the layout for the rest of my tables and assorted equipment. I am barely going to have enough room to walk around once I set it all up but it will fit. The space I am using is 18 ft by 16.5 ft and I am using it all up.

ClayM.

post-255-127749885426_thumb.jpg

A person can never how to much storage space, be it shelves or drawers. You could put cleats on side of the drawers and build a set of legs in the middle then your shelves are shorter and will hold more weight without bending out of shape. Plus you could get adjustable shelf tracks and clips then you can move the shelves where ever you want them. That's what i did on the wall cabinets i built in my shop.

I would run a 2x4 across the front and back at the bottom to tie the legs togeather and it will make your whole bench more stable. Your going to have a fine set up in your shop.

John

Finished bench #2 today. I added the legs and shelves. it is solid as a rock. I also hung some shelves on the wall above the bench. I found a cool thing for hanging tracing film and other paper rolls. It is a shoe rack but it works great for this too. I started on the new cutting table. It needs a piece of plywood for the storage area underneath.

ClayM.

post-255-127761091192_thumb.jpg

post-255-127761095758_thumb.jpg

Hi Clay, your shop is looking great. I do have a question about the drill press lathe combo. What brand is it and does the drill press head swing out of the way so you can turn a bigger piece on the lathe ? I never seen one like that. Your tracing paper rack is neat to.

Oh you have some real nice work on your site to.

John

Edited by dirtclod

John,

the mill lathe is made by General Machinery. It is a Harbor Freight inport. The mill does swing out from the lathe.

Your shop is shaping up! Looks like you're doing a great job.

One note - I have a large cutting table that I also use for doing a lot of my work - riveting, punching holes, etc. It has a large shelf underneath that the previous owner used for leather storage. On the top, one side invariably gets filled up with "stuff" - knives, hole punches, some of the other stuff that I use all the time.

If you will be using that table for things other than just cutting, you might want to consider adding a couple of drawers right underneath the cutting surface. It will help keep the cutting surface clear.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Ann

Ann,

Great idea on the drawers for the cutting table. I will def add some. Thanks.

ClayM.

Finished the last bench lat night. Now I just need to organize all my junk. If any of you have any ideas on space savers please share them. I am alrady going to use Ann's drawer idea. I had to get the materials to build the drawers that I wanted because I could not find any manufactured drawers that were big enough.

post-255-127792801646_thumb.jpg

Bench #3 in place

post-255-127792808266_thumb.jpg

Bench #3 with shelves added.

post-255-127792809262_thumb.jpg

All my junk that has to be organized.

Clay you can get full extension draw glides that will hold up to a 100 lbs. I got mine off of ebay. So far i haven't tried them to see if they will hold a 100 lbs because i don't have ever thing done on my bench's. But i had some that held 60 lbs in my old shop and they worked fine.

John