Sign in to follow this  
katkon

Intro / Info

Hi everyone, my name is Katkon and i live in Gateshead UK. i have never worked with leather before until yesterday, when i made a collar for my Jack Russell Katie. i went to the nearest store in Newcastle and purchased a strip of bridle leather, buckle, D ring,and keeper all Brass, my basic tool kit i purchased is an awl blade and handle, pack of needles, bees wax, 18/3 linen thread and a hole punch.

The gentleman in the store was most helpful and gave me a crash course on using a saddler's stitch and the using the awl in the correct fashion (great customer service).

I really enjoyed making the collar, yes the stitching isn't perfect, the finishing knot is like a small wart but it didn't fall to bits when my partner and i gave it the tug of war test thumbsup.gif.

I would like to make more things with leather and i would be most pleased if members could give me any pointers in getting started in leather craft, such as recommend good books, tools, and info on sewing.

Many Thanks

Katkon.

Welcome! We're glad you're here! It sounds like you've found a helpful store/good service to start with, and that's always great. I remember when I got back into leatherwork after college, having first learned it at a camp as a teen, our local Tandy was incredibly helpful to me.

There are people here from all over the world, who make leather into all kinds of things. I've done dog collars myself on occasion, and I've found it's nice to make something that's basic yet very useful - and still offers so much chance of customization!

Anyhow, I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions and comments for you smile.gif

:welcome: I'm already envious, you live close to one of my favourite breweries:cheers: and my favourite leather/tool supplier. Get a copy of Al Stohlman's "the art of hand sewing leather", it will show you (almost) everything you need to know about sewing and what tools to use. It's a good idea to read through the relevant threads on the forum before starting projects, there's lot's of usefull tips from the pro's and you can avoid the mistakes the rest of us made when we were newbies .

Hi Katkon,

good to hear from you and keep at the leatherwork! I'm actually based in Hexham, not 20 or so miles from you! If you want any help or advice give me a bell or an email (via the website My link) or just drop into my studio in Abbey Gate House in Hexham. I'm there pretty much every day at the moment and am always up for a coffee and a chat about leatherwork.

See you soon,

Andy

Edited by AndyBates

Hi Katkon . . . welcome to the Forum!

You mentioned your 'nearest store in Newcastle' . . . I'm guessing that's Le Prevo - very helpful and obliging people!

There's acres of useful information at http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/ (scroll to bottom of page) or at http://www.bowstock..../tutorials.html . . . probably a fortnight's reading! And then, of course, here on the Forum. Loads of useful stuff and helpful people! Have fun!

Terry

Hi again and thanks to all, thanks for recommending the book and web sites .

after looking at some of the work on the forum i can see how bad my stitching really is, but i have been stitching this morning after reading some tutorials and it has improved . I have only a very basic tools at the moment as stated in my first post.

What should i buy next?

I think i shall stick with dog collar's and lead's at the moment until my stitching improves.

Thanks for the welcome !

Katkon.

Welcome aboard make your self at home.

Josh

Hi again and thanks to all, thanks for recommending the book and web sites .

after looking at some of the work on the forum i can see how bad my stitching really is, but i have been stitching this morning after reading some tutorials and it has improved . I have only a very basic tools at the moment as stated in my first post.

What should i buy next?

I think i shall stick with dog collar's and lead's at the moment until my stitching improves.

Thanks for the welcome !

Katkon.

I'd go for an edge beveller, adjustable crease and overstitch wheel. Tandy UK have one on sale here.