SimonJester753

Edge Beveler Not Giving The Desired Edge

I'm working on dog collars made from 8-10 oz latigo.

I use a #4 edge beveler.

See this illustration to get an idea of what's happening when I use the beveler:

As far as I know I'm using the biggest beveler, yet it seems too small.

post-15650-127864570057_thumb.jpg

If you are getting the type of edge in your profile, you may be using the wrong kind of edger (actually, I have never seen an edger capable of making that type of concave edge). On 8-10oz latigo I use either a #3 or #4 Bob Douglas common edger and get the rounded profile you are looking for. Perhaps you could post a photo of the edge of your tool so we can see why you are getting the undersired result.

Darcy

I think I know what you're after...Keen Edge Beveler (with the reservation for spelling here *S*)

Comes in size 2, 3 & 4, I did found them here:

http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/leather_tools.html

Simon, . . . I had an older #4 edger that was so dull it would just simply not cut.

I bought a new one.

Then I got the idea that I could probably sharpen it if I tried, . . . and I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome.

I took a 3/16 inch dowel, . . . about 18 inches long, . . . cut the heads off some paneling nails, . . . drilled holes in the dowel for the nails, . . . and nailed the dowel to a board that had a small groove (to keep the dowel straight), . . . and then countersunk the nails so they didn't stick out.

I then covered the dowel in valve grinding compound, . . . medium grit, . . . and began stroking my edger BACKWARDS along the dowel for about 75 strokes, . . . beign careful to gently rock the tool in about a 30 degree arc, counterclockwise as I pulled it toward me with my right hand.

Afterwards, . . . I put a piece of 8 oz leather that had been edged with my sharp #4 edger on both sides, . . . into another grooved board, . . . leaving it stick up about 1/8 inch and loaded it up with jeweler's rouge, . . . and about 25 strokes later, . . . I have one SHARP edger that actually does a ROUND edging that is really nice for the CCW belts I make in my shop.

May God bless,

Dwight

All good information, especially from Darc. you might also want to try a Bisonette edger, they also come in different sizes. I use a #4 to edge the leathers of a horn when I am finishing off an installation. It gives you the result you are looking for, a nice rounded edge. Of course, you still need to do some burnishing to get that professional finish.

Bondo Bob

If you are getting the type of edge in your profile, you may be using the wrong kind of edger (actually, I have never seen an edger capable of making that type of concave edge). On 8-10oz latigo I use either a #3 or #4 Bob Douglas common edger and get the rounded profile you are looking for. Perhaps you could post a photo of the edge of your tool so we can see why you are getting the undersired result.

Darcy

OK, here's a picture of the edge and of the edger. I got the edger from Tandy. I think it's a Craftool brand #4.

post-15650-127880832304_thumb.jpg

post-15650-127880833547_thumb.jpg

By the way, my dog has been wearing the collar and been swimming in it a bit.

Simon,

I can't say for sure from the photos but from what I see it appears the edger may be too narrow for the thickness of leather and you may be trying to compensate and take off more edge than it's capable of. Are your pressing down quite firmly on the tool as you push it along? If you are, it may be pressing a crease into the top of the leather and still only taking a small amount of leather off the edge. If the tool is sharp, you need very little down-ward pressure on the tool as you push it along... the tool should only be removing material and not be leaving any kind of mark on the top of the leather. If you think what I've described may be happening, make sure the tool is very sharp and then try it on a piece of 4-5 oz leather and see what the edge looks like.

The only other thing I can think of is the cutting edge looks fairly flat like a french edger instead of curved like a common western edger or a bissonette edger.

Darcy

A # 4 beveler is pretty wide. Try a #2 #3 and see what happens. I think your taking to much off.

The Keen Edge Beveler IS concave, I have one and this is my favourite edger by far when it comes to style. Mine is an old from Tandy but I know Osborne still have them.

for 8/10 oz leather i recommend a #2 edger. for dog collars i use a common edger i use the kind with the bent up ends cuz i got tired of the pointy ends jamming into my fingers. a sharp edger is a must for a good clean edge.

each size edger is for a different oz leather, it looks to me you are just using too big an edger.

OK, here's a picture of the edge and of the edger. I got the edger from Tandy. I think it's a Craftool brand #4.

post-15650-127880832304_thumb.jpg

post-15650-127880833547_thumb.jpg

By the way, my dog has been wearing the collar and been swimming in it a bit.

Turf it my friend it has been incorrectly ground. I would say that it is irretrieveable too. I have one like it that does the same thing. I bought it on ebay and got what I paid for. There should be a divit it the back of the tool and the leather should run in the divit/groove.

Edited by desib

Desib it is actually how it comes from the factory. These bevelers do not have a groove in them. They are just a flat cut beveler. The only way to get around the mentioned cut they make is by using a smaller one for that size leather although it doesnt really solve the problem. It will still make the same cut just not as pronounced.

The only place I use that type of beveler is going around the inside of radius cuts where you have to make a pretty sharp bend. They tend to cut on these areas pretty good. Other then that I use the same bevelers as Tina because these actually have a groove that cuts a rounded portion of the edge leaving you with good ground work to start your edging.

I would recommend getting a keen edge beveler if your going with crafttools or go with a higher end beveler like mentioned earlier.

I used these bevelers for too long, probably longer than most of the people here have who told you to get another style. If you could look inside, you will see that many of these off the rack Tandy and even Osbornes have been ground at a fairly steep angle. If the edge is great, they work just OK. Once that edge is a little dull, they drag, chatter, or pull leather and make funky edges. Most of them do cut a flat profile and had been pointed out - the bigger the size the more evident that is. They don't come using sharp, and need to be reworked to be better. To get the bevel down to where they really work better is major surgery.

I have never regretted any good edge bevelers I bought. There are a few major makers and I have had bevelers from about all of them. Bob Douglas, Ron's Tools, Horseshoe Brand, Barry King are some good choices. They are sharper out of the box and easier to sharpen and maintain. They will cut a nice rounded profile in any size.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably try the keen beveler.

I've got a few other tool-related questions, but I'll start a new thread for them.