jeansky

How To Use The Vergez Blanchard Plough Gauge

HI every one,

that's my first post. im planning to order a vergez blanchard plough gauge, but is there any web introduce this tool?

because i just know it is use to cut a strap accurately. but i don't know to use it and it's very expensive tool compare to others. so i don't want to waste this great tools.

can any one help me ? please.

thanks

I am attaching a few pictures to show I how I run mine. For short straps I hold the tail end in my left hand with the tail coming up over the top of my handle and push. For longer straps off a full length side I run both sides of the cut under the handle. I tension the free end with my left arm and push with the right as I walk along the bench.

post-29-127869634295_thumb.jpg

post-29-127869635609_thumb.jpg

post-29-127869637376_thumb.jpg

Bruce, thank you for your help.

i want to know that can the plough gauge be operating on the soft and thin leather, for example thinner than 1.5MM leather?

As long as the leather isn't stretchy or too soft, a plough gauge will cut it alright.

Bruce, thank you for your help.

i want to know that can the plough gauge be operating on the soft and thin leather, for example thinner than 1.5MM leather?

I can't speak from experience with this cutter,

but I have had good results backing thin leathers with a firm paper of some kind, and running it thru strap cutters.

Use rubber cement to easy removal.

Edited by Leatherimages

HI bruce,

even that's the new plough gauge, when i use it to cut a thick leather also feel very difficult pull the leather backward and push the plough gauge forward.

is the blade not sharp enough? did you try this situation before?

thanks

With a few exceptions, most cutting tools you buy new are not sharp enough to go right to using. It should cut really easily once you have it sharpened up and stropped. The Vergez Blanchard steel seems to be pretty good.

To add to Paul's comment, I have used shelf liner for thin leather every once in a while. I have only had to use this technique a couple of times with chap leather that tended to move a lot when trying to cut fringe. It was a trick that a older saddlemaker/chapmaker showed me more than 30 years ago.

Regards,

Ben

YES, vergez's steel is pretty good.

but can i sharpen this blade by myself ? can i use the sharpen stone to sharpen it?

just like the attach photo

thanks

post-15602-12789192937_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeansky

The stone is too coarse to sharpen the blade, it can only be use to shape the blade. I have never used a stone to sharpen my knifes, I am fortunate to use the machine where I work.

post-130-127892309878_thumb.jpg

The right side is fine sandpaper and on the left a felt wheel coverd with green polishing stuff.

Important is to polish the blade until it is razor sharp!

Greetings

Gesa

Hi Gesa,

That particular stone is finer grade on the other side. Also, your belt grinder rotates away or towards you? Away I suspect, which is opposite from what they are normally provided over here. Your setup is for a professional, felt wheels are quite aggressive and build heat quickly, especially at high rpm. For the less experienced, a sewn cotton wheel might be better. Because of the profile of the Blanchard Knives, an unsupported belt (called a loose belt) is more appropriate, nevertheless, the platen support can work too, with a flat stone for the flat side.

Art

The stone is too coarse to sharpen the blade, it can only be use to shape the blade. I have never used a stone to sharpen my knifes, I am fortunate to use the machine where I work.

post-130-127892309878_thumb.jpg

The right side is fine sandpaper and on the left a felt wheel coverd with green polishing stuff.

Important is to polish the blade until it is razor sharp!

Greetings

Gesa

Hi Art,

The belt grinder turns away from me, its a special model sold by a local saddlemaker supply shop. About the heat, there is always a bowl of water to cool the blade. I use the water every few seconds.

Unfortunatly I had difficulties to translate "unsupported belt" and "platen support" :dunno:

To sharpen a new knife it is not easy . Especially to learn it without someone to show and assist, no matter what kind of sharpening system is used maybe frustrating.

Gesa