Sign in to follow this  
carver

Mildew Removal

My wife just drug home a rough out saddle that was covered with mildew . I got it cleaned up pretty well but cant get rid of the smell any body have any good methods

Odors are tough - even parts per billion of some chemicals can stink pretty bad.

Did you try using vinegar?

There is some stuff in the local hardware you will find in the household cleaning section call appropriately "Green Stuff". It is, you guessed it, green liquid cleaner, I have had real good success with it.

Bondo Bob

Have you tried that fabric freshener stuff that's out there called Fabreze? I know there are a few variations of it, supposedly for various purposes. I have used this "Fabreze Extra Strength"......"for carpets, fabric and air" for a few things and I've been surprised at how well it worked.

Here is a pretty good recipe for a deodorizer, however, Iwould try the Fabreze first to see if that does the trick. In either case, look at the last paragraph, below and follow that as far as application method and procedure:

Homemade Deodorizer Recipe

1/2 cup household hydrogen peroxide

1 level Tablespoon baking soda

2 Tablespoons white household vinegar.

1/2 cup water.

Put this in a spray bottle

Mist the Fabreze or the homemade recipe all over the saddle, being sure to get up under the skirts and into the nooks and crannies. Put the saddle outside to dry in the sun. After it's dry, flip it over and let it stay outside in the sun for several hours. If the saddle has a sheepskin lining underneath, especially let it stay in the sun several hours and reapply the soulution after a couple hours, massaging it well into the sheepskin wool. In this case, it's not just the deodorizer that is working, but also being out in the sunlight, which is a natural odor killer.

Get some RUDY'S leather conditioner by Bee Natural Leathercare. It will not only improve the smell but will kill the mold and mildew. I use it alot and if you put on two or three coats of it it makes the leather smell good,fights mold and mildew, and is good for the leather. One sixteen ounce bottle should do you fine.... Jeff

Edited by horsewreck