Sign in to follow this  
cal429258

So Cal. Checking In.

Hi everyone

I am new here, as you know.

Checking in from southern California. I want to give some leather working a try.

The other day I got my self a leather sewing machine (Phaff 545) for near free. It was broke

when I got it. Well I remedied that and had the intention of using it to sew some heavy weight backpacks

but I figured I would give it more to do.

I am into any thing out doors and I am a full time student. I have always loved the look feel and smell of leather so

this is going to be fun!

Was thinking of starting off with some belts and move into knife sheaths and mics. Pouches.

I have eyed a lot of you guys work and am inspired to get my creativity out.

I have no clue where to start but I think I have come to the right place.

The nest post will be what basic tools I will need, so look for me there.

Thanks for having me.

Hi cal429258, hope all is well. and welcome to our forum. Good people and good advice is what you will find here. I am also from SoCal. Thanks, Steve

Hi cal429258, hope all is well. and welcome to our forum. Good people and good advice is what you will find here. I am also from SoCal. Thanks, Steve

Cobra Steve where abouts in So cal? I live over by Palm Springs. I was trying to find some leather shops I could go to and see if I could just hang out and talk/ watch but I cant find many in my area. Well there is the "Master Leather Show" in Palm Springs buuuuut that is NOT what I am looking for. HaHaHa!

Cobra Steve where abouts in So cal? I live over by Palm Springs. I was trying to find some leather shops I could go to and see if I could just hang out and talk/ watch but I cant find many in my area. Well there is the "Master Leather Show" in Palm Springs buuuuut that is NOT what I am looking for. HaHaHa!

I am in Highland, between Redlands and San Bernardino, just off the 10 Freeway. I am right next door to Tandy Leather. Steve

To bad you guys aren't down in SD, we have 3 fine leather joints in the area :)

Where? Like many Zonies, I do my job to take over your beaches for the summer.

and to the original poster... welcome.

We of course have a Tandy which is fairly accessible from anywhere in SD. There is a place called Downtown Saddlery in East County (El Cajon / Santee) that has some decent hides and good saddle making hardware. But the real gem just happens to be right by the beach! (Perfect for you Zonies) It's called Stonehedge Leather and it's in Ocean Beach right across the street from the main lifeguard tower. Don't expect lickety split service and if Eric helps you (the son) expect to be sold EVERYTHING in the store. However the real beauty there is it's a production shop and they pump out some very nice work. Phil (the dad) is a genius at tooling and is always willing to give advise and talk shop (supposing he's there and having a good day).

Just google "Leather San Diego" and you'll find them all :)

I will be moving to Temecula in the fall, I am ready to get out of the heat!. Hey Daniel dont be trying to hold out on the the goods...haha please clue me in on the good places to shop. I travil to you area every now and then and I would love to check it out.

Cobra S. I know where that is! I am going to school at UCSB this next quarter. I will be over by you a lot! Dont worry though I promise no stalking haha!:head_hurts_kr:

Oh and one other thing for you Zonies that love to invade our beautiful beaches when your state turnes into the fires of Mordor... When you're driving around SD, make sure you use the pedal on the right! You guys are killing us ;)

Hey, cal429258, i'll be waiting! Steve

Oh and one other thing for you Zonies that love to invade our beautiful beaches when your state turnes into the fires of Mordor... When you're driving around SD, make sure you use the pedal on the right! You guys are killing us ;)

haha. I can assure you I'm not part of that problem.

Thanks for the info about Stonehenge... just the type of place I was looking for. My wife & I will be back before the end of summer so I'll be sure to check em out.

So Cal, where we ride our fast bikes all year long....Howdy Duane

Welcome to the forum Cal...I'm jealous on the cheap find. Enjoy!

Looks like I'm about an hour west of you Steve, I'm a stone's throw from Dodger Stadium.

Maybe one of these days when I'm looking for a long freeway ride I'll head out that direction to check out the machines I may be after next year. Are you open on Saturdays?

Welcome to the forum Cal...I'm jealous on the cheap find. Enjoy!

Looks like I'm about an hour west of you Steve, I'm a stone's throw from Dodger Stadium.

Maybe one of these days when I'm looking for a long freeway ride I'll head out that direction to check out the machines I may be after next year. Are you open on Saturdays?

Hey Spinner, if you call me at 1-909-425-2080 or on my cell at 1-909-800-1429, I will be glad to meet with you, even on a Sunday, how's that! Steve

Hey Spinner, if you call me at 1-909-425-2080 or on my cell at 1-909-800-1429, I will be glad to meet with you, even on a Sunday, how's that! Steve

Now that's service! ;) I'll have to hit ya up the next time I head out to run the twisties around Big Bear...a guy can only run Mulholland Hwy and Angeles Crest so many times before some new scenery is in order.

Chris