Sign in to follow this  
JoshDuvall

Retention Screws?

I recently had a customer request a retention screw in his holster. I dont normally do retention screws because I dont really believe that a well formed holster needs one (other than maybe a shoulder holster or something). My question is where would you place it? Right behind the trigger guard or at the curve between the trigger guard and duster? Its an avenger type holster for a 1911 if that helps any. Also what exactly do yall use to make the actual retention screw?

p.s. - I know this has been covered before but couldn't find it in the search feature

i try to put it middle between the front of the trigger guard and the barrel. i have done them on open top holsters now and then for 1911s. all it does is pinch the leather as it loosens....of course after time when it is screwed all the way down you've stretched the leather out...but the customers get what they want ;) they are actually useless, i have found if you are using heavier leather such as 8/10 oz.

Tony

" they are actually useless,"

+1

Some law enforcement agencies require a "positive retention " on holsters. This can be a thumb break or tension screw. It was explained to me that it "doesn't even needing to be a good retention, just has to be there." to fit their policy.

I agree, they are useless.

Josh, if you do decide to use one, you can use a t-nut or a chicago screw. Add a rubber grommet for a spacer between the pieces of leather. You can also use a cup washer on the front to widen the area of the screw's pressure, and to look better.

This might be a bit off topic... but most of the retention screws I see are black in color. Does anyone know a good place to find the screws and washers in black?

I've scoured my local hardware stores and can't seem to find any.

Tension screw placed in the arch are where the trigger guard face and dust cover meet can be beneficial as a holster get more worn and stretched over time.

Retention and Tension are different things.

Retention Buttons, Levers , Snaps and Straps work at keeping someone from grabbing your firearm out of your holster.

Tension Screws generally keep a fire arm from falling out of a holster.

Tandy Leather is now selling Open Backed Chicago Screw sets in Brass, Chrome and Black (Chrome).

I use the Open back part of one of those Chicago screws, a Black, Brass or Chrome Finish Cup Washer and a 8/32 screw, mostly Allen Head or Philips as the Standard (Slot Head) will probably end up allowing the end user to have the Blade of the screw driver slip out of the slot and mar up the holster...