DavidM

Marking Black Leather

Hello,

I was given some black leather to make shoes for a trade. I typically use un-died leather so marking lightly with a pencil works well. Any suggestions for how to mark black leather? Is scribing the only option?

Thank you in advance,

David

Tailors' chalk works well.

For dark leather I use a silver pen or a white pencil. Pretty much any light colored "glitter pen" will work on darker leather too. The silver is the best, but as stated earlier, chalk or tailor's pencil (Look in the sewing notion section of a fabric store or Wal-Mart) works well if you need to clean the marks off.

Dave T.

Thank you both. I went to Wal-mart & got some fabric pencil. They didn't have specific taylor's chalk, but the washable pencil colors (for fabric) came in a pack of black, red, and white lead. I will give it a try tonight.

Thanks again.

I've always used white Chinagraph pencils for black and webbing and you can rub it off with your thumb to erase it.

Tony.

I've been using a regular pencil, kind of hard to see, but so far my work is not too critical yet. :)

For marking on dark leathers, I have a white gel pen, a yellow grease pencil (sometimes called a China Marker), and a silver pen. Sometimes one works well while another is iffy or works not at all. As a last resort, I have a scratch awl.

Whatever you choose, try it on a scrap piece or a corner first to see if you can remove the mark later.

Back from the old computer day, we used a fine point blue sharpie to mark floppy disk. It shows up purple on black and blue on everything else.

Graphite Artists pencils work well to. Hobby Lobby

As Rhonda mentioned, those graphite artist pencils work well for marking. They are easy to take off the leather as well, as long as it's dark. The markings rub off easily or you can gently use an eraser.