Ferg

Design Lifter

I would like to know who uses a Design Lifter.

Does it actually add to the carving?

What is the proper way to use them?

ferg

HI Ferg ;; we lift certain leaves and such for the depth it adds .visit my gallery at my profile page to see the effect ,,the belt is done in that manior

..Doc..

HI Ferg ;; we lift certain leaves and such for the depth it adds .visit my gallery at my profile page to see the effect ,,the belt is done in that manior

..Doc..

Hi Doc,

Thank you.

Pretty much what I thought.

Useful in doing Roses as well as Oak leaves I suppose.

ferg

I like to use lifters when I'm doing other things too, like skull designs. It really does add LOTS of depth to a design. Here's a couple of designs I have used lifters on. You decide if they do what you'd like...

post-6344-037529600 1280919406_thumb.jpg

post-6344-082546100 1280920151_thumb.jpg

post-6344-018420300 1280920381_thumb.jpg

I like to use lifters when I'm doing other things too, like skull designs. It really does add LOTS of depth to a design. Here's a couple of designs I have used lifters on. You decide if they do what you'd like...

post-6344-037529600 1280919406_thumb.jpg

post-6344-082546100 1280920151_thumb.jpg

post-6344-018420300 1280920381_thumb.jpg

Hi Troy,

I made a lifter to try. My concern is the raw "flesh" part of the hide you expose with the lifting.

Do you attempt to camouflage that when you color/stain the leather?

The tool also makes impressions in the already beveled area which a modeler helps to smooth of course.

I notice on the seat image you have above that you raised the areas quite a bit, do you normally do it that way?

Thanks,

ferg

Hi Troy,

I made a lifter to try. My concern is the raw "flesh" part of the hide you expose with the lifting.

Do you attempt to camouflage that when you color/stain the leather?

The tool also makes impressions in the already beveled area which a modeler helps to smooth of course.

I notice on the seat image you have above that you raised the areas quite a bit, do you normally do it that way?

Thanks,

ferg

Most of the time I airbrush Tandy Satin Sheen on the project to seal it, then add a Fiebing's antique gel making sure to push the gel into the lifted areas to fill the voids, let it dry for a bit, then buff it to remove any excess gel. On natural colored leather, I merely pay close attention to the area when I airbrush my Satin Sheen on and spray an extra heavy coat into the . When you seal your project, the ... "raw "flesh" part of the hide you expose with the lifting is sealed also ...

If your tool is making impressions where you don't want them, perhaps try rounding the head of the tool and kicking the TOE up a bit. That way, you can cut the leather at the lift, roll the toe up and leave less visible dents to smooth.

And YES, if I want depth, I have to make it. Since leather is a 2 dimensional canvas, you create depth by beveling, stamping and otherwise making impressions into the leather. By lifting, you create a 3rd layer of depth allowing far more realism.

Hope this helps....

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "design lifter"? Is it that tool that's used to push a design carved and tooled up into a more specific relief to show a more 3 dimensional carving?

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "design lifter"? Is it that tool that's used to push a design carved and tooled up into a more specific relief to show a more 3 dimensional carving?

Yes. :)

ferg