Sign in to follow this  
SimonJester753

What Kind Of Leather Is This?

http://www.antik-group.com/epages/es122041.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122041_REPLIKATE_DER_ANTIKE/Categories/LEDERRIEMEN

Take a look at the leather shown on the page the above link takes you to.

I wrote to the company and asked about the leather and got a rather vague answer:

"Our Antico-leather is a product made especially for us. Leather, which has a very high proportion of wax, very thick (5.5 mm) is uniform and has no unique coloring. Our tannery produce this leather since 1524. Our 26 Saddlers have an extremely high consumption, so that we can't pursue some wholesale with the leather. Small quantities are possible. The leather straps are 210-240 cm long, depending on the skin."

It seems to me that something was lost in translation. What would we call this kind of leather?

I think a lot was lost in the translation. It has been my experience that if we start off confused as this product supplier is, it does not get any better after the order is placed. I am none the wiser as to what this product is after I looked at it than before. I say let Siegel worry about the importing and we can deal with him, he speakes English well and he prices his stuff in american dollars..... Jeff

http://www.antik-gro...ies/LEDERRIEMEN

Take a look at the leather shown on the page the above link takes you to.

I wrote to the company and asked about the leather and got a rather vague answer:

"Our Antico-leather is a product made especially for us. Leather, which has a very high proportion of wax, very thick (5.5 mm) is uniform and has no unique coloring. Our tannery produce this leather since 1524. Our 26 Saddlers have an extremely high consumption, so that we can't pursue some wholesale with the leather. Small quantities are possible. The leather straps are 210-240 cm long, depending on the skin."

It seems to me that something was lost in translation. What would we call this kind of leather?

These are single backs tanned for harnesses. They will be approximately 18 sq ft/each. The width should be approximately 24-26". You could probably expect a "landed" price in USA (after freight, clearance, etc) of around $350/each.

5.5 mm = 13.75 oz ... as this is a European tanner, and in the context that they reply, this means that the leather is of this substance throughout the back....

The length is 7''6" to 8 ft in length.

Don't know the tanner, but from the description, this would be my assumption.

Regards,

Steven Siegel, CEO

siegel.leather@gmail.com