Sign in to follow this  
jc3persons

Her She Is 1St Work In 40Yrs

Well it has been a learn ,mistake, one after another but fun and looking forward to a better one next go around...I have mexican carry(in the pants behind the back) for 40 years and is my preferred choice so decided

to design and make holster and this is what i got...Going to try to post some pixs from cell phone and have no idea....how they will be!!post-15921-060494300 1281045040_thumb.jppost-15921-001024800 1281045099_thumb.jppost-15921-047470000 1281045116_thumb.jppost-15921-088158500 1281045166_thumb.jppost-15921-097329500 1281045179_thumb.jppost-15921-091081500 1281045196_thumb.jppost-15921-024437700 1281045229_thumb.jppost-15921-085484300 1281045244_thumb.jppost-15921-064509200 1281045289_thumb.jppost-15921-079017100 1281045266_thumb.jp

Looking good!:thumbsup:

That a gracious thought gregintenn..it actually looks fairly good but riddled with error,,,but consider i design from scratch,,and the knife in pix cut all,,,mostly being held in my lap(i now have a adequate cutting surface and area),,the holes on holster were eyeball spaced( found my 6 per inch roller and a few other tools didn't remember having and how to use)..I cut the belt on a curve on purpose from one formed to my body but when glued stuck wrong place and had to pull apart,,man that was spooky and messy,,to much leather left in buckle and billet area and i must have been on something when i stitced the billet lol lol...The stamps were just a pattern that appealed to my eye...That kind of carry my fav,,shoulder holster next,, i shudder to think of trying a shoulder holster....Think i try for a blackhawk 4 5/8' six shooter,,,a little higher on the belt and and not so muc lheather between the grip and back and maybe a little more angle...I may invest in a tip cutter,, i lost about an inch on both ends trying to free cut them...thanks again for the kindness,,,yard girl and me going for a mocha frappe,,these fred sanford hands need a break!!!LOL LOL

Holster is a good 1st in my opinion for what it is worth. On the mag holster, you might want to make the front or back wrap around so that the top round can not get pushed forward and snag when you go for a reload.

Holster is a good 1st in my opinion for what it is worth. On the mag holster, you might want to make the front or back wrap around so that the top round can not get pushed forward and snag when you go for a reload.

thanks for the encouragement,,was a fun gig for sure...working on design for single action ruger,,same style carry but think am going to try a fold over instead 2 piece and a stiffner to keep from squashing in when reholstering,,,no

telling how many pieces of paper i will go though before settling on it,,ha ha ,,keeps me out of the beer joint!!!

JC, . . . throw the paper away, . . . go to Office City and buy a box of 100 file folders.

They are the perfect deal for patterns. John Bianchi showed us that tip making Western rigs.

What I love about it is if you mark it, . . . cut it, . . . and then wish you didn't cut it there, . . . just take some 1 inch wide masking tape and tape the cut piece back into the pattern. Re-mark it where you want it and cut it again. With paper you have to start over.

You can also just lay the file folder pattern down on your leather, . . . trace around it with a fine tipped ball point pen, . . . cut it out, . . . and you're good to go. Even if you cut a little off the line and leave ink on the piece, . . . when you edge the piece, . . . the ink goes bye-bye.

Good job by the way.

May God bless,

Dwight

most likely give that a try,,,my work area looks like grandughter been cutting out paper dolls and scribbling and it a no brainer that the paper shift when trying to transfer it to the hide..still in awe of all the talent and craftsman ship i am

seeing,,i had no idea that many people interested in leather...I am ready to shoot some clay pigeons soon,,be glad when my budget gets right,,usually shoot a lot of air too..

How do you get the patterns and ideas out of your head for sleeping at night??????Having fun is causing sleep deprivation,,LOL LOL,,man its good to be alive!!!!!!!!

If you've got kids around, poster board works good for patterns just as the above mentioned file folders. Used ones are o.k. as well. I have a pretty good stack of them over in the corner of my workbench. If you get into carvng. I've had some luck using wax paper as transfer paper too.

That a gracious thought gregintenn..it actually looks fairly good but riddled with error,,,but consider i design from scratch,,and the knife in pix cut all,,,mostly being held in my lap(i now have a adequate cutting surface and area),,the holes on holster were eyeball spaced( found my 6 per inch roller and a few other tools didn't remember having and how to use)..I cut the belt on a curve on purpose from one formed to my body but when glued stuck wrong place and had to pull apart,,man that was spooky and messy,,to much leather left in buckle and billet area and i must have been on something when i stitced the billet lol lol...The stamps were just a pattern that appealed to my eye...That kind of carry my fav,,shoulder holster next,, i shudder to think of trying a shoulder holster....Think i try for a blackhawk 4 5/8' six shooter,,,a little higher on the belt and and not so muc lheather between the grip and back and maybe a little more angle...I may invest in a tip cutter,, i lost about an inch on both ends trying to free cut them...thanks again for the kindness,,,yard girl and me going for a mocha frappe,,these fred sanford hands need a break!!!LOL LOL

I was actually remarking on the originality and usefulness of your holster. That's more what I'm looking for rather than flawless execution. After all, aren't most holsters pretty much conceal carry anyway? It isn't like you go around showing them off. They hold a gun at the ready. It appears yours would do that well.

buenous dios,,does the name imply your in tennesse(sp),,my birth state!! It one of a kind for sure!!! Part of fun and frustration is trying to come up with my own design,,not that a lot of ideas don't come from other craftsmans work....I never

understood how a behind the back draw with the butt pointed north was handy,,it just seems unnatural,,so mine was butt down...Guess the further you move to front of body the butt needs to be up. still drawing or scratching on paper for

a design on the six shooter carried that way,,lol good thing i am on no SCHEDULE..have a good one.

I never

understood how a behind the back draw with the butt pointed north was handy,,it just seems unnatural,,so mine was butt down...Guess the further you move to front of body the butt needs to be up. still drawing or scratching on paper for

a design on the six shooter carried that way,,lol good thing i am on no SCHEDULE..have a good one.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

jc3: I no way am I saying anything about your design or your preferred way of carry. That, to me it is a personal preference, and if it fits you, and you function well with it, so be it. This is just an observation and a recounting of a personal experience with the "Mexican" carry:

A number of years ago, when I was the head firearms instructor/armorer for the dept. I worked for, I was conducting an 'off duty' firearm qualification exercise. Each individual was required to bring the firearm he had designated as his off duty weapon, the normal holster he carried it in, and sufficient ammo for the exercise. (we didn't provide off duty ammo) One individual arrived with his issued duty weapon (an S&W 39/59 series auto) and no holster. Upon questioning, he explained that he carried the same weapon on duty and off. When off duty he stated that he carried the weapon in the Mexican carry.....without a holster. The gun was just stuffed down the back of his trousers, butt of the weapon facing down. I asked him if he was SURE that this is how he carried it off duty, and his response was adamant and affirmative. The exercise required the shooter to draw his weapon from his normal carry position, fire, move, and fire again. The exercise was timed, so that speed and accuracy were both factors in the qualification. I suggested that we give it a 'practice' go, with an unloaded weapon prior to a live fire run. Upon my signal to commence the exercise, the shooter reached back, got a fist-full of firearm, quickly started out with it and, as his hand rotated, (as it must from that position) the front sight caught in his underwear. His continued draw put a (painful, I'm sure) deep scratch in his butt and tore his shorts as well as giving him a pretty severe 'wedgie'. At that point we stopped the exercise. I explained that the Mexican carry is nothing more than a strong side carry moved around to the rear. The butt of the weapon faces up. It is very comfortable to place the firearm into the waistband of your trousers with the butt downward, however, it (obviously) causes problems with the draw. He later returned with a brand new hi-ride strong side holster, and qualified.

Edited by katsass

buenous dios,,does the name imply your in tennesse(sp),,my birth state!! It one of a kind for sure!!! Part of fun and frustration is trying to come up with my own design,,not that a lot of ideas don't come from other craftsmans work....I never

Yes sir. I am in Northern Middle Tennessee. Lafayette to be exact. As for designing patterns, I read this somewhere and forget who to attribute the idea to, but here it goes. In the middle of a file folder or poster board, lay your belt on it and trace it. Next, lay your gun on the belt you drew, just how you'd lik it to sit in the finished holster. After that, you simply draw the holster around these two features. This may be how you do it already, but it really helped me.

Yes sir. I am in Northern Middle Tennessee. Lafayette to be exact. As for designing patterns, I read this somewhere and forget who to attribute the idea to, but here it goes. In the middle of a file folder or poster board, lay your belt on it and trace it. Next, lay your gun on the belt you drew, just how you'd lik it to sit in the finished holster. After that, you simply draw the holster around these two features. This may be how you do it already, but it really helped me.

conceived and born 44 oak ridge,,dad(may he R.I.P) worked at the hydrogen plant and they lived in a tent....Anyways your the second person to suggest i use something besides computer paper so i am going to give it a shot....

Can't help but smile at katsass logo everytime i see it,,must be an interesting story behind(no pun there) it....It be a while speed is not a gift for me in any phase of life.