Sign in to follow this  
DomsLeather

Setting Spots

I bought some hardware awhile back had some nice 3/4'' spots in the lot...I tried to set them and the tabs break off as I am trying to bend them down...i tried pliers to bend them and also tapping them over...tapping them worked a bit better but trying to get the tabs to lay flat on the back without sticking up they broke...seems the metal is a bit to stiff not malleable enough..i have small tandy spots I dont have trouble with...can anyone help or should i scrap the 20 spots! lol they have 3 prongs on these spots by the way!

Russell in live chat suggested heating the tabs to take out some of the temper...It worked ty Russell for the help...if anyone runs into this problem just heat it slightly i had to watch so I didnt make the spot change to blue its nickle plated....let them cool and the bent without breaking! I will post a pic of the bracelet.

I bought some hardware awhile back had some nice 3/4'' spots in the lot...I tried to set them and the tabs break off as I am trying to bend them down...i tried pliers to bend them and also tapping them over...tapping them worked a bit better but trying to get the tabs to lay flat on the back without sticking up they broke...seems the metal is a bit to stiff not malleable enough..i have small tandy spots I dont have trouble with...can anyone help or should i scrap the 20 spots! lol they have 3 prongs on these spots by the way!

post-12186-065562400 1281240321_thumb.jp

Honestly man, for 20 spots? How much is your time really worth?

I'd just junk them and buy something less brittle.