Sign in to follow this  
RThompson

First Holster (Ruger P95)

Hi,

This is my first post on leatherworker.net. My interest is in making my own holsters and bags.

This is my first attempt at a holster. Actually, it's the first thing I've made from scratch (previously only made a rounder, keyfob and cell phone case from a Tandy kit).

It's for my Ruger P95. Belt loops are attached via Chicago screws set at 1.5" centers. the holes on the wings are through and through to allow attachment on either the front or rear side of the holster. The t-nuts on the spine are encapsulated. I chose this system for two reasons:

• so I didn't have to worry about belt loop geometry
  • so the carry method could be varied dependent on what you want to do

It's currently set up for strong side carry (3:30), but with changes to attachments could be crossdraw, small of back or even attach to a shoulder rig, vest or thigh rig.

The thumb break works in so far as it stops the safety from digging into my (somewhat substantial) sides, but the snap needs to be bigger (its a line 16 and needs to be a line 24). The sweat protector could also be slightly larger to allow easier disengagement on the draw. I'm considering making the sweatband/thumbstrap modular as well to allow them to be easily switched for weakside/left handed carry still allowing the main holster body to remain unchanged.

it's unstained, wet molded and handstitched (must get a stitching pony...)

Comments welcome!

Rob

post-16318-053236500 1282402748_thumb.jp

post-16318-085025200 1282402770_thumb.jp

post-16318-017690600 1282402786_thumb.jp

Edited by RThompson

first off welcome to the forum my fellow rob! and are you SURE thats your first holster? that looks VERY good! great job and again welcome :)

Very good first go... I wish my first attempts had been so well exicuted.

As far as comments go.... I like the over all design, but the forward belt loop, placed as it is, will require a tight belt angle that may bind and contort the belt, causing problems with mounting, dismounting and overall long term wear. Also, the belt loops themselves look like they were sort of an "after thought". A little more time spent on rounding the edges and they would look much better. Your wet molding looks good and will only get better with some time and experience.

-Tac

Very good first go... I wish my first attempts had been so well exicuted.

As far as comments go.... I like the over all design, but the forward belt loop, placed as it is, will require a tight belt angle that may bind and contort the belt, causing problems with mounting, dismounting and overall long term wear. Also, the belt loops themselves look like they were sort of an "after thought". A little more time spent on rounding the edges and they would look much better. Your wet molding looks good and will only get better with some time and experience.

-Tac

Yup, these loops were just thrown together to work out the kinks in the design - they're rough cut and not finished at all. The front loop has actually stretched to accomodate the belt, so it's not damaging the belt at all, but still pulls the holster tight into the body. I'm pretty sure the final belt attachments will be double loops to help stop the leather deforming and allow it to pull tight better.