Sign in to follow this  
PapaWolf

Table

Well I have decided that I need a new table to go in my shop. I went to Walmart and they have a standard size folding table (like ones they would have set up for a big picnic) only its got a hard plastic top. Does that sounds like it would be ok to cut on, or will it possibly dull any knife I use? The table would be used strickly for cut, no tooling. Any input?

I think it'd be okay as far as the blade is concerned. The bigger issue I see is its stability. Shaky table = bad cuts, and if you have to lean on it, I'd be concerned about slipping- you, the leather, the knife, or all three. On the other hand, a plastic topped table would make an excellent coloring table for your application of dyes, paints and finishes.

Just my thoughts on the matter, and it may well be that the version you have addresses the issues I mentioned and is indeed a sturdy table; I hope that's the case.

I use one from Sam's so it may be like the one from Walmart. 5' X 2' with 2 adjustable heights and is as sturdy as I could expect from table with folding legs. Has hard white speckeled top. It is sutible for cutting with roller blade (Fiske) with proper cutting pad and probably a head knife. Good for small layout work. I'd rather have a large solid/sturdy wood or heavy steel table but, this works for me.

regis

This is what I use for a cutting surface. You can build a solid table to the hight you want . Probably around 40 to 45 inches high and then use this surface.

cutting surface

Doug

Edited by Doug C