Sign in to follow this  
SpursNM

Holster Lining

I am making a holster (first time) for a Navy Colt cap and ball. My boot maker friend told me to use rubber cement, not contact cement for the lining.

My problem is that when I try to fold the holster, the lining wrinkles. Am I not waiting long enough for the glue to dry?

Thanks for any advise...

P.S. I am using pig skin for the lining, not leather.

Thanks for any help...

Very gently, gentlemanly, humanely, and with all the tact you can muster, . . . tell your bootmaker to go polish a sole or something, . . . use contact cement.

Rubber cement has a few uses, . . . 99% of which involve 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders and kindergarten type folk.

May God bless,

Dwight

Contact cement works best and you have to glue the lining leather while holding the holster in the folded position. If you glue it flat, it will wrinkle when you fold it.

Rubber cement does not provide a permanent bond, being easily pulled apart. This is contributing to the wrinkling that you are experiencing.

Contact cement works well. I especially like Fiebings' Tanners Bond for cementing holster linings.

It can be difficult to cement in a lining when the leather has been folded. I prefer to stretch the lining material on the work surface, then cement to the holster leather. After it sets up you should be able to do your forming with little, if any, distortion of the lining material.

I am making a holster (first time) for a Navy Colt cap and ball. My boot maker friend told me to use rubber cement, not contact cement for the lining.

My problem is that when I try to fold the holster, the lining wrinkles. Am I not waiting long enough for the glue to dry?

Thanks for any advise...

P.S. I am using pig skin for the lining, not leather.

Thanks for any help...

+1 for Lobo and Dwight...I make almost all of my holsters from two layers of 4/5 oz. leather bonded with flesh sides together...using a good contact cement. Basically a lined holster is the result. Little to no wrinkling. I apply the cement, allow to dry, stick the two pieces together, roll with an old wallpaper seam roller (smooth wood) and allow to sit overnight. I then just treat it as a single piece of leather. Mike