Sign in to follow this  
SimonJester753

Different Skiver?

Simon i think their pretty hard to use but not impossible when your starting out. Get some scraps and wet them pretty good and try it holding it at different angles with the handle more flat and with the the handle tilted down with different pressure. When you have a new blade it dosen't take much pressure to cut to deep as the blade dulls i think it's more controlabel espically if using one for the first time.

If your a southpaw then that's the best one to start off with unless your going to use a round knife or a skiving knife, in my opinion.

Damon

I briefly tried this style of skiver when I first started out... With pretty horrible results. A more experienced leatherworker pointed me in the direction of the "skife" (aka, "safety beveler") -- a much better design, IMO.

Here's where you get one:

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/3001-00.aspx

Give it a try! :)

ohh, i don't know... the other one is great as a cheese slicer... esp. some perfectly aged swiss...

eric

p.s. +1 on the straight skiver, rather than the draw/drag version... slightly more controllable...

Simon i think their pretty hard to use but not impossible when your starting out. Get some scraps and wet them pretty good and try it holding it at different angles with the handle more flat and with the the handle tilted down with different pressure. When you have a new blade it dosen't take much pressure to cut to deep as the blade dulls i think it's more controlabel espically if using one for the first time.

I didn't know that trick... guess I missed that part in my studies. After reading this post, I did just that.... wet the leather good and used the above skiver... WOW... night and day in the "ease" dept.!!! I am now happy with my skiver!

Thanks!

Safety skiver I use for everything! I have one in my lacing bag to skive my ends for the needle or when glueing ends together. Cheap and worth it.