Lobo

New Cobra Class 4

Last week I realized that it was time to add a new sewing machine for my shop. I called Steve at Leather Machine Company (see banner ads) and placed the order for a Cobra Class 4. Five business days later the machine was delivered. From the time the parts were unpacked until I was stitching the first item was 85 minutes.

The Class 4 comes complete with stand, LED light, servo motor, etc. Extra needles, two pounds of thread, and all necessary accessories included. Nothing else required. The servo motor provides outstanding control. This is a very easy machine to use. 16.5" throat depth will handle just about any job, and the Class 4 will stitch up to 7/8" thickness with ease. Reverse is easy to engage and stitches back perfectly in the same holes.

Palletized shipment with weight shown on the bill of lading at 310 lbs. Pallet dimensions about 36" X 36" X 36", so you'll need either a large door into the shop or unpack it outside (ten minute job) and move the pieces inside for assembly.

Outstanding quality product and excellent customer service! If you have the need Steve is the man to talk to, and he actually answers his phone!

I got mine not too long ago as well.... I love it. Works great!! I had never used a leather sewing machine before but the thing was so easy to get going..... I had to call and ask Steve a few questions, but as you said, he answers his phone and I was sewing in no time!

Great machine!

Update:

The new machine has been in use for about 3 weeks now. No major glitches, just the normal learning curve for a new tool. I've called Steve once for help, phone was answered on the second ring and problem solved in a couple of minutes.

Excellent product and excellent service.

I have a question for those of you who recently ordered, and I'm just wondering and covering my bases here. Basically, I'm in a 3rd floor apartment and have never ordered anything off a pallet to a home address, so how crazy heavy is the whole thing, I'd have to unwrap it on the street or back of the truck and does it come in enough pieces that I can haul it up without too much struggle?

And for any cobra owner, how light can it sew? Not fine silks, but I've been making a few messenger bags and similar things out of canvas and denim. If it could work for that, I could ditch my more-trouble-than-it's-worth sewing machine, even though it says "heavy duty", it's still a craigslist-found home sewing machine that can barely do the job.

Also, even though I doubt I'll get that feature - EPS: did you get it or not, and was it worth it?

Edited by BAD HIDE

I have a question for those of you who recently ordered, and I'm just wondering and covering my bases here. Basically, I'm in a 3rd floor apartment and have never ordered anything off a pallet to a home address, so how crazy heavy is the whole thing, I'd have to unwrap it on the street or back of the truck and does it come in enough pieces that I can haul it up without too much struggle?

Palletized shipment with weight shown on the bill of lading at 310 lbs. Pallet dimensions about 36" X 36" X 36", so you'll need either a large door into the shop or unpack it outside (ten minute job) and move the pieces inside for assembly.

Take away 10 pounds for the pallet and that leaves you with a 300 pound machine and work table. This weight will occupy an area of about 1 square yard. Make sure you have a strong floor in the area you intend to place a machine in. It might be a good idea to have a 1/2" thick wooden support piece cut, big enough for the legs of the machine to sit on. This will spread out the weight evenly and may avoid damage to your rented floor. The head will weigh in at about 200 pounds and the motor and table at about 100. You will definitely need help getting these items up 3 floors of stairs (unless there is an elevator available).

Treat this move as though you are having a new refrigerator delivered.

And for any cobra owner, how light can it sew? Not fine silks, but I've been making a few messenger bags and similar things out of canvas and denim. If it could work for that, I could ditch my more-trouble-than-it's-worth sewing machine, even though it says "heavy duty", it's still a craigslist-found home sewing machine that can barely do the job.

The COBRA Class 4 will sew from 6 oz to 7/8" leather including skirting, all types of tack, bullet loops, chap leather, and everything in between with ease. "Sews pads, blankets,webbing, canvas, bio-plastics, upholstery, etc..."

You will have to change the needle size to match the thread you are using. A Cobra Class 4 can sew with thread sizes 69 through 415. This corresponds with needle sizes 110 through 250. You should use leather point needles exclusively, if you are sewing leather.

If you are going to sew leather garments, the optional table attachment is a good item to have.