Spence

Aircraft Aluminum.....

bar stock needed.

I recently built a service dog harness for a lady confined to a wheelchair. I've been getting inquiries and a few outright orders since then. This harness was strictly for pulling and guiding a wheelchair.

I've been thinking about building one for folks with balance and leg weakness issues. This morning I got an inquiry from a gentleman asking about that type of harness.

I'm not a metal worker and I think I'm going to have to have the handles made up (one or two at a time?) What I would be looking for would be 1-1/2" to 2" wide bar stock of 3/8" to 1/2" thickness. The length of each piece would be (roughly) 40".

Does anyone do this work or know where I can find a source that doesn't require a minimum purchase. If worse comes to worse, I will drill and bend as needed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can also PM me.

tks

Spence their is quite a bit of bar stock on ebay. I searched aluminum bar stock .

This is my go-to supplier for that kind of stuff: McMaster-Carr

Look in the yellow pages for a local metal supplier. FleaBay, McMaster, etc will generally charge more than a regular supply house. If you find a supplier you can inquire about drops, these are the leftover sections from cut down bars.. These will save you a cut charge. There was a remnants store in Sacramento that I used to buy from. Their prices were more than scrap, but less than retail. You may have a local version. Check local scrap yards too, as some get new stock in from closed shops, etc. Check with local welding, or machine shops in your area. If they don't have it, they may be willing to add it to one of their orders to save you some $$ If they do, make them something nice.

Secondly, do you have a picture of what you want to make? I am thinking that 1.5"-2" X .500" will be way way overkill. Tube shapes are strong, yet light.

Aircraft aluminum is a marketing term since aircraft use many grades of aluminum from low grade to high grade depending on the usage. 6061 T6 is a very common grade that is widely available. For more strength a 2024, or 7075 can be used, and they are heat treatable.

My background is that I am a machinist, and fabricator.

Look in the yellow pages for a local metal supplier. FleaBay, McMaster, etc will generally charge more than a regular supply house. If you find a supplier you can inquire about drops, these are the leftover sections from cut down bars.. These will save you a cut charge. There was a remnants store in Sacramento that I used to buy from. Their prices were more than scrap, but less than retail. You may have a local version. Check local scrap yards too, as some get new stock in from closed shops, etc. Check with local welding, or machine shops in your area. If they don't have it, they may be willing to add it to one of their orders to save you some $$ If they do, make them something nice.

Secondly, do you have a picture of what you want to make? I am thinking that 1.5"-2" X .500" will be way way overkill. Tube shapes are strong, yet light.

Aircraft aluminum is a marketing term since aircraft use many grades of aluminum from low grade to high grade depending on the usage. 6061 T6 is a very common grade that is widely available. For more strength a 2024, or 7075 can be used, and they are heat treatable.

My background is that I am a machinist, and fabricator.

Thanks all, for educating the un-educated. BGD, I appreciate your info and expertise.

Thanks, one and all, for educating the uneducated (or uneducatatable - I know, it's not a word).

Oops! Duplicate post. It's an age thing, I guess. :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by Spence