Sign in to follow this  
SharkChaser

Protect Leather From Water

I really need help!

I have posted this in 2 other area's and have not had any responses.

I am trying something new and as far as I know never been done before.

I want to wrap a custom turned fishing rod grip with leather and lace.

What I would like to know is how could I protect the leather from the water or water spots,

Keep in mind no oils because of exotic woods and epoxy finish on the rod?

Would something like saddle soap work, the handle will not be submerged in the water,

but some splashing and wet hands and rain of coarse will be the norm for the rod.

If nothing will work, how much shrinkage is there to leather if I encapsulated the leather and lace in epoxy?

I really need help!

I have posted this in 2 other area's and have not had any responses.

I am trying something new and as far as I know never been done before.

I want to wrap a custom turned fishing rod grip with leather and lace.

What I would like to know is how could I protect the leather from the water or water spots,

Keep in mind no oils because of exotic woods and epoxy finish on the rod?

Would something like saddle soap work, the handle will not be submerged in the water,

but some splashing and wet hands and rain of coarse will be the norm for the rod.

If nothing will work, how much shrinkage is there to leather if I encapsulated the leather and lace in epoxy?

Perhaps a lacquer based leather finish, applied deeply into the leather beforehand, such as neatlac or clearlac, might do the trick? You might try Pecards, also- it's a pretty waterproof finish, but you should contact them first & ask if it would mess with the exotic woods. Pecards is often used as a waterproofing finish on motorcycle seats. Good luck.

russ

This is going back a few, but while aboard ship and doing fancy ropework on ships' railings, I used a cotton line. This, of course, had to be protected while still showing the fancywork. I was taught to use strips of cotton fabric, wrapped along the rail. Then I would tie on the cotton line in whatever braid (coxcombing) I was using at the time. Once it was finished, I put a couple of coats of thinned shellac over it all. Let it dry for a couple of days (very humid at sea) and then I painted it. I see no reason not to use a clear shellac and clear valspar varnish on your handle. g'luck

Edited to add: I would have recommended Deft spray on lacquer, but since there will be no flex to the work, a valspar varnish should be a superior product for waterproofing. IMO. :blahblahblah:

Edited by Spence

I want to thank everyone that has responded.

Pecards and I have started an experimental solution to my problems and will be working together for just the right solution to the water spotting I will post pics and try to describe the process that we end up with over the next couple of weeks.

Again thank you to your responses.

The Valspar solution was thought of early in the process, but is yellow by nature, and get's even more yellow with time, even the new clear yellows pretty fast, it has been noted that they don't put enough UV protection in their formula's.

What kind of product is Pecard's? Is it a paste?

Daggrim

Check out Pecard.com they sell directly from their website in individual items and leather care kits. I've been using the motorcycle leather conditioner and leather dressing and they work really well.

Actually, I probably go overboard but doing: dye > neatsfoot oil > tan-kote > leather conditioner > leather dressing > Aussie Wax gives me the look and feel I want and a metric ton of protection.

I saw somewhere, maybe here. Melt bees wax and use a toothbrush and rub the wax into the lace, both sides. Probably very time consuming though. Or, I got some stuff I haven't tried yet but it's bees wax based, I can't remember the last part of the name but the first part is "sno-" When I get home I'll get the last part of the name for you. Like I said I haven't tried it yet but it's suposed to be real good for protecting hiking boots and tough leather.

I saw somewhere, maybe here. Melt bees wax and use a toothbrush and rub the wax into the lace, both sides. Probably very time consuming though. Or, I got some stuff I haven't tried yet but it's bees wax based, I can't remember the last part of the name but the first part is "sno-" When I get home I'll get the last part of the name for you. Like I said I haven't tried it yet but it's suposed to be real good for protecting hiking boots and tough leather.

Sno-Seal - http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

Check out Pecard.com they sell directly from their website in individual items and leather care kits. I've been using the motorcycle leather conditioner and leather dressing and they work really well.

Actually, I probably go overboard but doing: dye > neatsfoot oil > tan-kote > leather conditioner > leather dressing > Aussie Wax gives me the look and feel I want and a metric ton of protection.

Two years later this thread comes up again so I figured I would update my recipe that has served well for the last 18 months:

Pro Oil Dye > neatsfoot oil > Pro Waterstains > Resolene (50/50 cut) > Pecard Weatherproof Dressing

Deeper colors, very water resistant and less fading & better abrasion resistance than the previous recipe.