gtwister09

Sharpening Helper

This weekend I was helping someone sharpen several of their leather knives (round, skiving, shoe makers, etc) as well as several of their kitchen knives on the slack belt. They were struggling greatly trying to maintain a 20 degree angle and trying to keep their hands out of/off of the belt.

Anyhow they started to get the hand of looking down the knife onto the lines on the sander table to maintain the angle but were struggling when feeding across the belt.

So I thought of something that I used sometimes for sharpening plane blades and let them use this to provide another touch point for them to maintain a parallel cut/grind across the sander. It worked much better for them with the round knife. They thought that I should share the tip with this group.

I have made a quick sketch of the "tool" in question. I turned mine from an individual piece but you can utilize things like a hand plane knob, handle, drawer pull or anything that you can add a rare earth magnet to. Mine has a turned recess for the rare earth magnet. You can glue or epoxy the magnet as shown in the picture.

post-9-015811300 1285633592_thumb.jpg

The magnet connects with the blade and then you can use this to control the sharpening of the blade. A long blade allows you two places to hold onto if you put the helper knob on the end opposite of the handle. Whereas a round knife can utilize the tool in the center and you don't have to hold onto the handle and twist it around. As stated, it is quite simple and effective for those blades that are difficult to maintain a parallel grind across the belt or an aid to help those who struggle with awkward blades.

Hopefully that will help some of you in sharpening your knives.

Regards,

Ben

Is that tool used above the blade? Or, does it go between the blade and the sander? I'm not sure I understand how to use it.

Meleck(??),

I drew a couple of quick sketches showing mostly flat positions. One shows the plane iron with sandpaper and glass. The other one shows a longer blade with the helper on the end opposite of the handle and your other hand. The other shows it on a round knife. You can use it flat as shown or it can also be used at a 20 degree angle (or whatever angle you choose) on a slack belt or even on one of the paper wheels (or the sharpening medium of your choice). This is something that helps people freehand their sharpening. I personally don't use it anymore except on plane irons to help grip the irons.

post-9-057208600 1285713544_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

The question might have seemed a little bit weird but there are sharpening helpers that you place between the blade and the sharpening surface (such as those for plane irons or the one for swivel blades). I just wanted to make sure that I understood exactly what you meant. As a wood turner, I might try that.

Meleck,

Not really a weird question. I am familiar with many of the various systems (handmade and purchased) for woodworking/turning/knifemaking and so forth....so it was not problem to add further explanations. I guess a more proper term for the knob/magnet would have been a gripper.

Regards,

Ben

P.S. They are pretty simple to turn and like I said I made a recess for the magnet (not necessary but it looks more finished to me)

Edited by gtwister09