figthnbullrider

barrel saddle

i want to start my second saddle soon. i am gonna make my girlfriend a barrel saddle. my first one was very heavy . how do u cut weight on a saddle to make it lite. do u still use a wood tree. thanks

It's all the little things that add up.

You can drop to 12- 13 oz leather, And lighter hardware. Maybe go stainless as it's a bit stronger. In skirt rigging is my lightest rigging and just as strong as any if put in right, also lots of stirrup freedom. Narrow up your stirrup leathers to 2 1/2" and the rear tugs to

1 1/2". You can also spit a lined tug a little and it will still hold up well if the holes are stitched around.

Cut the skirts up under the fender where it's not visable, this will also let her feel the horse a little more. I do this to all my cutters now.

Just a few things that help. Bulk usally means weight, if you can remove bulk without sacrificing strength thats the way to go. Oh yeh, oil it lightly, ever notice how heavy a quart of oil is?

Looking forward to pictures

i want to start my second saddle soon. i am gonna make my girlfriend a barrel saddle. my first one was very heavy . how do u cut weight on a saddle to make it lite. do u still use a wood tree. thanks

I don't care what you do a leather saddle is going to end up around 32 pounds if you use quality materials. The oil is really the trick. Most manufacturers don't put much oil on and they don't count things like stirrups and cinches in the wieght. I did a line for a while called Black Rhino barrel saddles and we were constantly critisized for being heavy because we gave an honest wieght. Funny thing is I started wieghing other factories saddles and they were just as heavy once they were oiled and had sturrups. They stop worrying about wieght when they can trim a second or two off their time though.

David Genadek

You can save some weight ( more than you think) by choosing a set of lightweight stirrups