DCKNIVES

American St.louis Machine

A fellow knifemaker has this machine and wants to put it my shop for me to make sheaths for him, Now I have never used one, and from what I understand he hasn't used one either.Anyone have any info on this machine or where I might look? I will not have access to the machine for at least a week to get any numbers.Thanks.Dave

sewing20machine2.jpg?1287185882

Dave i think i have a manual or a copy of one. I'll look around and see if i can find it. What do you need to know about it ? I had one for several years. Their pretty nice machines if you don't need to sew deep.

John

Thanks, I don't know if this one has a manual or not at this tme.I'll look you up if not.You say it doesn't sew thick stuff, I was told this goes up to 1", but I don't know how reliable that info was.That's why I am getting rid of my 31-15 because it will only do thin stuff.Is there a good source for parts?Dave

Dave what i ment when i said it wouldn't sew deep was that the throat isn't very deep. It will sew just about anything you can get under foot as long as it's leather. If you try to sew nylon you break lots of needles because the hook on the needle will hang in the nylon.

Pilgrim sewing machine has quite a few parts for them. http://www.pilgrimshoemachine.com/ their nice folks and ship quick. You might want to call or email for a catalog. New England Needle had the best price i found on needles. I did a search for them but the web address i found is a different place i think. I had mine before computers.

John