Sign in to follow this  
BAD HIDE

Oops.

Ya know all those pics and such you see of guys heating an edging tool with a torch? yeah, those tools must be made better than mine. This was done with a regular propane torch, ya know the kind where you have to hold it for 10 minutes to just get steel red hot, first couple heatings I noticed a little metal bubble up and flake off, so I'm thinking it was just the plating coming off, no biggie. Go to heat it up again (couldn't have been more than 10 seconds) to get a good long groove on a belt and ploop, I'm out an adjustable edge groover. Ignore the dye mess on the paper.

post-15132-032589300 1288239339_thumb.jp

Friggin cheap tools must be made out of pewter or something.

Ya know all those pics and such you see of guys heating an edging tool with a torch? yeah, those tools must be made better than mine. This was done with a regular propane torch, ya know the kind where you have to hold it for 10 minutes to just get steel red hot, first couple heatings I noticed a little metal bubble up and flake off, so I'm thinking it was just the plating coming off, no biggie. Go to heat it up again (couldn't have been more than 10 seconds) to get a good long groove on a belt and ploop, I'm out an adjustable edge groover. Ignore the dye mess on the paper.

The osborne ones are safe, & they even say so (at least for the rolling wheels with the design on them). The tandy ones don't say that, so one must assume that they are not safe to heat (as you well proved). If, however, this was simply an adjustable edge marker, the kind without the wheels, I don't know how heat safe that kind is, either Osborne or Tandy.

Edited by whinewine

I know it isn't funny to be out a tool......but that's just hilarious. Look at the bright side- you now have a handle for a custom built tool. And it'll match all the other ones!

On second thought, maybe you should send that back to Tandy, I'd love to hear their explanation for it.

The osborne ones are safe, & they even say so (at least for the rolling wheels with the design on them). The tandy ones don't say that, so one must assume that they are not safe to heat (as you well proved). If, however, this was simply an adjustable edge marker, the kind without the wheels, I don't know how heat safe that kind is, either Osborne or Tandy.

*********************************************************************************

yes the Osborne ones are safe ? .But i dont beleive there is anything written or to be understood that it NEEDS TO BE HEATED RED HOT TO DO WHAT YOU TRIED TO DO.

i have HEATED my edge creasers with a heat gun with complete sucess.

Bunsen burner, alcohol lamp or even a zippo should be sufficient, just beyond warm is all that is needed as far as I can tell. But I am no expert and don't personally use heat. I found that casing and repeated pressure as if burnishing an edge works fine for me. Sorry for your loss.

*********************************************************************************

yes the Osborne ones are safe ? .But i dont beleive there is anything written or to be understood that it NEEDS TO BE HEATED RED HOT TO DO WHAT YOU TRIED TO DO.

i have HEATED my edge creasers with a heat gun with complete sucess.

I wasn't going for red hot, just hot enough to do a fair stretch on a dry belt. I haven't done it very often, so I was still trying to find what temperature and # of passes would give a good edge. I don't have a heat gun, just a propane torch and oxy/acetylene - which wouldn't be any better. Seeing this, I wouldn't even try a Bunsen burner. It might have been aluminum or tin or some other crappy alloy, but it definitely wasn't decent steel. I just was not expecting in a million years to melt it so easily and quickly - it didn't even cross my mind that it was in the realm of possibility.

This post is more of a warning to anyone who does it this way, or hasn't yet tried it but might. I'm still kinda shocked that they'd make something so cheaply and still call it a tool.

Oh, and I'm not mad. It really is quite funny.

Edited by BAD HIDE

I can't help but wonder if there's some stamp maker in _______(wherever they get them made now) laughing and thinking "Let's see 'em burn the chrome off THIS!"

Sorry to see you've come off with a busted tool. I use one of these http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products/Saddlers_Tooling/Screw.html which are all steel. I've been to the place where they make them by hand (which is why they're expensive!!), so I'm happy they'll hold up. I use a camping gas stove heat to my crease. I don't think you need to get them red hot to make a permanent mark, but it depends on the effect you're trying to create; I did a lot of experimentation before I did a line for real. I've filed down and re-shaped the inside blade (left in my case - I'm right handed; right blade though, if you're left handed), so that there's more hanging over the edge of the leather to reduce the chance of me slipping and making a permanent mess.

Good luck with your new crease, if get another.

All the best.

Jerry