CSMcK

First ... An Introduction

I thought I should introduce myself before I start asking questions and offering opinions. My name is Chris, and I'm not sure if I'm really a leatherworker - I'm sort of here by accident, following a link from the horse and tack world. I had to join here in order to see some of the picture posts.

We took up riding this summer, which led to me looking for saddles, which led to me reading about different types of saddle, which led to me researching saddle condition, care, repair, which led to me making minor modifications to my tack, which led to me needing to know more about leather work, which led to... just what I need - another hobby, but it's fun. I have spent the last week or two prowling around on your boards, particularly the saddle section, and am amazed by how friendly and helpful everyone is.

My leatherwork experience consists of putting together a Boy Scout moccasin kit many years ago, I made a pocket comb case at camp one year (even more years ago), and recently built a deerskin bag to carry a friend's ashes for scattering - I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a photo of that. (I just retired all my film photo equipment, and have become pictorially digitized - still learning what all the buttons do).

My tool box has started to accumulate some punches, a Speedy-stitcher, thread ... I guess I'm into it.

It's good to meet you all - now I'm off to the saddle section to ask dumb questions, and benefit from all the experience here.

Chris

post-17267-004095600 1288285372_thumb.jp

Welcome to LW from another Chris. I'm sure most folks stumble onto new hobbies the same way but either way you're in good company.

Don't know much about horse saddles but there are plenty that do here. And just remember, the only dumb questions are the ones you ask when you're drunk! ;)

Edited by Spinner