Sign in to follow this  
CSMcK

On Beyond Duct Tape

Having introduced myself in the Members section, I am now out to pick some brains.

I just bought a very used Circle Y reiner, planning to do some minor mods to use it as a trail saddle. When I saw it at the tack sale, I liked the already-turned stirrups, I liked the rich dark colour - oops - apparently it's supposed to be regular oil colour - I thinks it's been wet, well oiled, but never cleaned.

I liked the shape of the swells, I liked the soft padded seat - but here's where I need some help. The seat has some wear [photo 1], which is fine, but it also has a couple of nasty scrapes [photo 2]. The seat covering is quite thin, and the largest scratch actually goes right through the leather.

My first thought (I was just kidding about the duct tape) was to throw some ACC (super-glue) in the hole. I am not too worried about appearance, but I am concerned about the hole getting bigger. It looks like the previous owner already 'painted' over one scrape with something brown [photo 3]. What would you recommend - can it be covered over? Filled in? Should I try to stitch it?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Chris

post-17267-097972800 1288306966_thumb.jp

post-17267-009242100 1288307008_thumb.jp

post-17267-069071600 1288307087_thumb.jp

If it were mine.....I'd ride it the way it is and if it gets worse eventually, replace the seat. Other wise the only real way I see to do anything is replace the seat.

You need to weigh the price of tearing it down and repairing it against what you gave for it too.

Tim

Embellish the wear a little more, then make up a really good campfire tale to go with it. Then, ride it 'til the seams rip out, and rebuild it.