Brian

Union Awl Machine Price

Question - I have an opportunity to purchase a Union needle and awl machine - the guy wants $1000 for the head only. This was a machine that was used by him, and has not been sitting, so without taking a look at in person (its on the west coast, and I'm on the east coast) is this a fair price? This is for the head only, plus parts (bobbins, thread, etc). I have a motor and base.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

That is a ridiculously low price for a working ULS machine. I am asking 2 1/2 times that amount for mine, with the motor and table.

Here are some things you need to consider if you intent to buy a ULS head only.

• The head alone weighs about 350 pounds
  • The motor used in most ULS machines is a continuous running 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP motor, not a clutch motor
  • This motor has a double 1.5" pulley. One pulley drives the flywheel, which has a clutch is on the inside. The other pulley drives the special bobbin winder, made specifically for this machine.
  • My motor is mounted on the top right rear of the table. Newer models have the motor under the table.
  • One of the pulleys is for the flywheel; the other is for the bobbin winder assembly.
  • The table made for the machine has a cutout under the entire body, for adjusting gears and shafts
  • The machine bolts to the table from underneath, in the front
  • The machine is clamped on the back by an angled bracket bolted into the table top.
  • The table top will need to be about 3 inches thick to support this machine.
  • You will need very strong steel k-legs to support this machine.
  • You will either need the original pressor foot lifter and speed control pedals and rod/crank assemblies, or will need to buy new ones from Campbell-Bosworth, or will have to fabricate them from scratch. They are totally different than any other system used on industrial sewing machines.
  • Assembled, the machine, motor and table weighs about 500 pounds.
  • It will cost you several hundred dollars to have the head trucked to your location (on a pallet). You will probably need a forklift, or a few very strong men, with a very heavy duty steel dolly to unload it and move it into your establishment.

These some facts to keep in mind about a Union Lockstitch machine head only. I personally wouldn't buy one without the correct table, legs and motor. You are going to spend hundreds of dollars on creating or modifying a table to support and activate it. If you don't receive the bobbin winder, pedals, rods and pivoting cranks, you will have to buy them somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I know these are specialized machines, with specialized parts. As for the price, I was skeptical myself about it being so low, but maybe because its the 'head' only - that would be the reason. At least you gave a larger list of questions to ask. Thanks for the info.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

That is a ridiculously low price for a working ULS machine. I am asking 2 1/2 times that amount for mine, with the motor and table.

Here are some things you need to consider if you intent to buy a ULS head only.

• The head alone weighs about 350 pounds
  • The motor used in most ULS machines is a continuous running 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP motor, not a clutch motor
  • This motor has a double 1.5" pulley. One pulley drives the flywheel, which has a clutch is on the inside. The other pulley drives the special bobbin winder, made specifically for this machine.
  • My motor is mounted on the top right rear of the table. Newer models have the motor under the table.
  • One of the pulleys is for the flywheel; the other is for the bobbin winder assembly.
  • The table made for the machine has a cutout under the entire body, for adjusting gears and shafts
  • The machine bolts to the table from underneath, in the front
  • The machine is clamped on the back by an angled bracket bolted into the table top.
  • The table top will need to be about 3 inches thick to support this machine.
  • You will need very strong steel k-legs to support this machine.
  • You will either need the original pressor foot lifter and speed control pedals and rod/crank assemblies, or will need to buy new ones from Campbell-Bosworth, or will have to fabricate them from scratch. They are totally different than any other system used on industrial sewing machines.
  • Assembled, the machine, motor and table weighs about 500 pounds.
  • It will cost you several hundred dollars to have the head trucked to your location (on a pallet). You will probably need a forklift, or a few very strong men, with a very heavy duty steel dolly to unload it and move it into your establishment.

These some facts to keep in mind about a Union Lockstitch machine head only. I personally wouldn't buy one without the correct table, legs and motor. You are going to spend hundreds of dollars on creating or modifying a table to support and activate it. If you don't receive the bobbin winder, pedals, rods and pivoting cranks, you will have to buy them somewhere.

When you say that you have a table and base, are you referring to a Union Lockstitch table, or a standard industrial sewing machine table? If the latter, forget it. The table top will warp under the weight of the machine, unless you add a second table top and glue or bolt them together.

If you want to see mine, come to Flint, Michigan.

When you say that you have a table and base, are you referring to a Union Lockstitch table, or a standard industrial sewing machine table? If the latter, forget it. The table top will warp under the weight of the machine, unless you add a second table top and glue or bolt them together.

If you want to see mine, come to Flint, Michigan.

I hear you on the regular K leg table. The one on my consew is already starting to bow.

Thanks for the offer to see the machine. If I ever make it to Flint - I'll look you up. Thanks

Brian