Lthrz

Leather Embossing

I would like to know if anyone knows the technique for embossing leather in 3-D?

I've seen it once, and would like to learn the art. I call the specific embossing technique "3-D", because the grain side of the leather is actually "peeled" or separated from the flesh side, and exhibits a "relief" (Alto-relievo [high relief]). The main tool used in achieving this technique is the modeling spoon.

It would also be helpful if anyone could direct me to, suggest any embossing tutorials, books, an individual or an internet site, which demonstrates the technique. Any information you are willing to provide on the subject, I would much apprciate.

I do quite a bit of what I call 3-D embossing. It sounded a lot like what you are describing until you said the main tool used is the modeling tool. You can go to my website and see if what I do is what you are wanting to learn. If it is, there are a few tutorials on the site that will help you get started. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. I am also working on a series of lessons with Jan Schoonover teaching what he calls "extreme" embossing. We've got 3 lessons finished so far and they are also available off of my website.

Clay,

Thanks so much for the feedback! Your leather work is AWESOME!

Yes, your work demonstrates what I seek to learn, specifically what I saw in the trout. I had been advised by someone in the industry who is just learning the craft that the modeling tool was primarily used, which is why I sought additional information.

I will check back to view the tutorials on your website to get started...thanks again Clay for pointing me in the right direction.

Lthrz

I'm always happy to help if I can. If you have any questions on embossing leather like this, I will do my best to answer them. Robb Barr did a series of video lessons on extreme embossing on many different subjects. You can get them through Hidecrafter.