Sign in to follow this  
jamesg63

Fishing Reel Cover

Heres my"Prototype" of the fishing reel cover I was confronted about making. Still gotta finish stitching and I'm debatind on closing in the back side.Let me know what ya think.

post-5981-015565000 1290816121_thumb.jpg

post-5981-030280000 1290816159_thumb.jpg

post-5981-005215700 1290816176_thumb.jpg

post-5981-018533700 1290816196_thumb.jpg

That's pretty sharp. I would say close it up as much as you can.

Looks good. Just curious - what sort of finish will you put on it? I assume it will need to be pretty water proof?

Bob

Looks good. Just curious - what sort of finish will you put on it? I assume it will need to be pretty water proof?

Bob

Funny you should ask Bob! I was gonna ask for some input from some of the folks on here. Maybe something like "SNO SEAL" or Mink Oil? Anybody know if that"ll work

As a fisherman, I prefer to have my entire reel covered, including the handle. That is probably why I am still using commercially made covers. If I ever get that far down my project list, I think I would go with lighter leather to reduce the bulk and figure out a way to cover the handle, too.

I like your overall design; The main idea with reel covers is to keep the dirt and grime out of the mechanism and protect the reel from getting banged around during transport. You have succeeded! You don't want the cover to be too well sealed. that would retain moisture from the reel, line, etc.=bad thing. I like Saddle-Lac, durable and relatively water resistant.

As a fisherman, I prefer to have my entire reel covered, including the handle. That is probably why I am still using commercially made covers. If I ever get that far down my project list, I think I would go with lighter leather to reduce the bulk and figure out a way to cover the handle, too.

I like your overall design; The main idea with reel covers is to keep the dirt and grime out of the mechanism and protect the reel from getting banged around during transport. You have succeeded! You don't want the cover to be too well sealed. that would retain moisture from the reel, line, etc.=bad thing. I like Saddle-Lac, durable and relatively water resistant.

Hey John, I did try a lighter weight leather at first. 2/3oz. I tlooked really good but I think it was too flimsy. The customer kinda thought the same. Thanks for your advice, maybe nest time around I'll try the lighter weight over the reel then the heavier on the ends?