Sign in to follow this  
festus

flat braiding

How do you braid an 8 or 9 plate flat braid? I am trying to make a flat braided dog collar.

Thanks for any experience you would be willing to share with me.

I don't recall seeing a tutorial at this site, but check out Kingsmerecrafts.com. They have some pretty well laid out tutorials.

Festus,

Check out the braiding section. I just posted a tutorial for a nine strand herringbone braid here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2822

I've never done an eight strand flat braid. I've done four and six strands flat, but for me the odd numbered flat braids seem to be easier to work with.

If you haven't already, look into buying a book on braiding. Mine get constant use.

Hope this helps,

Timothy

i suggest you pick up one of bruce grants books. the australian style flat braid of 8thongs works really well for dog collars because it starts with a finished end on the tongue end of the collar and you only have to worry about finishing the buckle end. for a really cool collar i start with the aussie braid then transition into one of the crocodile ridge braids then back into the flat braid near the buckle to finish it off. if i get a chance i may attempt a quick tutorial on this tomorrow if you are interested.

If he's not interested, I am.

I've been wanting to learn the crocodile ridge braid. It is not in any of the books I have.

Timothy

ok...ill see what i can get done. warning my pix may not be the greatest. ill try and post something in the next day or so.

ok...ill see what i can get done. warning my pix may not be the greatest. ill try and post something in the next day or so.

Hello roo4u,

Yes I would very much like to learn that braid. I would really appreciate a tutorial on that. Thank you very much

Festus