I am making a belt for a friend of mine who does SCA (Medieval) combat re-enacting. He needs a white belt (People who have earned the title of "Knight" are identified by a white belt) for use in combat.

Painting a veg tan belt white seems out of the question as I would think that the paint would quickly wear off, crack, etc. on a belt that going to get the rough treatment. It's going to get wet, sweat covered, banged, hit, rubbed against other armor etc.

I've tried using the white dye at from Tandy but that just seems to be a base used to make other colors brighter after application.

A friend of mine at a local leather supply shop suggested gluing a thin white leather on top of the veg tan. So far this seems to me to be the best option.

Does anyone have any more information or a better suggestion? (I've done some searching here and elsewhere but I'm not sure the advice applies to a project such as this that is going to see such rough use.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dennis

I'd go for alum tanned , the military use it a lot so there must be suppliers on that side of the pond. You can get it here if it's not available locally.