I'm making a custom holster for one of my good hunting buddies. I'm thinking about cutting out his initials from scrap leather. Then stitching them between the liner and outer leather, hitting the edges with my boning tool to give it a raised look. I've done this with automotive carpeting before using wood. I've never tried it with leather. Can this be done? or is there a better way? I can cut, stitch, and finish. I'm a tool but can not tool at all. So, looking for a simple but custom look.

Thanks.

I'm making a custom holster for one of my good hunting buddies. I'm thinking about cutting out his initials from scrap leather. Then stitching them between the liner and outer leather, hitting the edges with my boning tool to give it a raised look. I've done this with automotive carpeting before using wood. I've never tried it with leather. Can this be done? or is there a better way? I can cut, stitch, and finish. I'm a tool but can not tool at all. So, looking for a simple but custom look.

Thanks.

Oh yes, it can be done, and has been done. This is what we call "embossing", and the particular technique you're talking about is "plug embossing". I think there are some topics on this already, so you might want to do a search on that. If you have problems finding anything, reply back here and we'll help you out further.

Kate

CitizenKate, thanks...I attempted to run a few searches but didn't know what to call it. Embossing would have never came to mind. Thanks for the help.

Shorts, I'll take some pics along the way. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for this gift. My hunting buddy knows how much a custom holster costs. So, I'm using some different materials for this one. So, some photo documentation may not be a bad idea.

CitizenKate, thanks...I attempted to run a few searches but didn't know what to call it. Embossing would have never came to mind. Thanks for the help.

Shorts, I'll take some pics along the way. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for this gift. My hunting buddy knows how much a custom holster costs. So, I'm using some different materials for this one. So, some photo documentation may not be a bad idea.

Sounds Cool! Can't wait to see it!

I've got the lettering cut out. They look awsome! I'll post some pics tonight when I get off work.

Any how, I cut them out of 8/9 oz scrap. The mock up looks great but I'm wondering if 8/9 oz is to thick. I want a very detailed look but not sure how thick or thin these will need to be to get good definition. Any ideas? Christmas is closing in quickly and don't have time for a redo.

I'm also planning on popping these in the oven at 120 for a few minutes to stiffen them up. I'm thinking that wll help them hold their shape when I roll the holster. Any thoughts on this also?

Thanks

Edited by LarMoeCur

Well, since you'll be using your boning tool to define the letter you probably don't need much. But for reference look at pistols and how detailed their holsters can be based on small edges. Many times the boning is very detailed simply based on the skill of the maker to know where the lines should go. The other factor includes the thickness of the top leather. I would suggest 7/8oz if you want to be nice and detailed. I think 8/9oz is pushing it. The other factor is the size of the letters. Bigger and more straight letters will be easier to define and bone easier than smaller, curvy letters. Another factor is the size of your boning tool. If you need super crisp in tight areas consider using a stylus (I have no idea what you use now) so that you can draw the outline around the letter to define the shape.

For practice tape your letters to your table and lay over a scrap piece of leather the same weight you're using on the holster. Wet it and practice boning the letters. Will give you a general feel before you do it on the real thing. I would venture to guess the letters underneath will compress a bit when wet molded so I don't think 8/9oz is overkill.

Edited by Shorts

Well, since you'll be using your boning tool to define the letter you probably don't need much. But for reference look at pistols and how detailed their holsters can be based on small edges. Many times the boning is very detailed simply based on the skill of the maker to know where the lines should go. The other factor includes the thickness of the top leather. I would suggest 7/8oz if you want to be nice and detailed. I think 8/9oz is pushing it. The other factor is the size of the letters. Bigger and more straight letters will be easier to define and bone easier than smaller, curvy letters. Another factor is the size of your boning tool. If you need super crisp in tight areas consider using a stylus (I have no idea what you use now) so that you can draw the outline around the letter to define the shape.

For practice tape your letters to your table and lay over a scrap piece of leather the same weight you're using on the holster. Wet it and practice boning the letters. Will give you a general feel before you do it on the real thing. I would venture to guess the letters underneath will compress a bit when wet molded so I don't think 8/9oz is overkill.

I love this place! What a great idea! I have plenty of scrap. I'll give it a practice run with what I have and some thinner leather. I'll post some pics tonight. Thanks Shorts