Sign in to follow this  
Bobby hdflame

Firefighter Shield Key Fob...questions?

I want to make some FF mini helmet shield key chains for the guys that work with me. I want to customize them with our dept. name, their last name, and their FF #.

Any suggestions on what to use to color the leather with? I need to color part of it RED and part of it BLACK. Should I buy some letter stamps or cut and stamp it into the leather?

All suggestions welcome. Here's a couple of pics, so you see what I'm talking about.

th_kcny.gif

th_kc6.gif

th_chicagomini_large.jpg

I've got to get these made in time for Christmas!

Thanks,

Bobby

If it were my project, . . . I'd go straight to a local shop that engraved plastic desk sets, name badges, etc. They use a 2 or 3 ply plastic, . . . engrave off the top portion and it reveals the center color, . . . in this case, engrave off the red, . . . the white will show through.

A good craftsman could make the "guts" for your project in litle or no time, . . . all you would have to do then is fabricate the black pieces and stitch them around the plastic, . . .

The plastic I used to use, . . . it was only 1/16th of an inch thick, . . . my Tippmann Boss would sew that without any trouble at all I am sure.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well, I've been trying some different options on this project. I wanted to post some pics of what I've done so far and ask for some professional opinions.

th_FFShieldKeyFOBII039.jpg

The black one on the right is the first one I was playing around with. The spacing is not right, but I wasn't trying to center everything, just playing with how it would look. The black fiebings dye did fine, but the white was not what I expected. It didn't cover very well, even with multiple coats.

I'm thinking of using paint...maybe something like Testors Model Paint??? Suggestions? I also have some red dye...wonder if it will cover darker than the white?

I stitched around the edge with my machine but I didn't wait long enough for the black dye to dry good, so it stained the white thread. Note to self: wait longer next time!

The one on the right was second. I'm debating on coloring or not. Suggestions? I don't think I like the line that I cut and beveled under the name. Maybe leave the line off on the next one?

Trying to decide if I like the background stamping. On the next one I think it will be just a bit bigger which will allow me some more options. I think I will also make it double thickness with some cut outs.

I'm VERY new to leatherwork and only know what I've read and seen on here, so ALL critiques and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Bobby

Hey If you paint everything first you can they dye over the paint and use a wet sponge to take the dye off the painted areas. That's what I do for my radio harnesses, suspenders, shields, etc.

Good questions Bobby, I was looking at doing the same for my crew. I think the engraved plastic idea from dwight is great for mass production of them. But otherwise, I like the idea of all tooled leather key fob better.

REAVES: I was looking through your website, Good looking stuff man. I like what you did with the back plate on your bunker gear suspenders.