Done with shears i hope.

I'm sure this has been posted before but i didnt find anything in a seach. Is the tippmann clicker 700 enough clicker for 8-9 oz leather?

The max leather it says is .5 inches thick but it says the same thing on the 1500. Is the 1500 just for bigger projects?

Im am wanting to click out holsters and knife sheaths and keeping some consistency and leave the shears for private projects.

Mostly the leather will be 5-6 oz but will do up to 9 oz at times.

Thanks for the patience with a newbi question.

Chris

Edited by Apholsters

Well I don't have a clicker as I too am in the market for one but .5" is 1/2" isn't it ? And a single piece of 9 oz. leather is no where near 1/2" thick so I would assume the Tippman should work fine. I was looking at that clicker also. Hopefully someone who has one will chime in.

My experience with the 700 was, in all honesty, less than stellar. While it can cut through the leather you're talking about, it takes more than one attempt to do so. The 1500 is a far better machine to cut from. I've cut saddle skirting with the 1500. The 1500 also has a larger cutting surface to work with/from. A good thing about the 700 vs 1500 is you can easily move the 700 around by yourself for the most part - not so with the 1500. I've had the 1500 for approximately 4 years without a problem. I had the 700 for approximately a year with a number of issues. The 700 is fine for lighter weight leather and fewer cuts. My recommendation would be if you can afford to get the 1500, you'll be much happier and more satisfied with the effort.

My experience with the 700 was, in all honesty, less than stellar. While it can cut through the leather you're talking about, it takes more than one attempt to do so. The 1500 is a far better machine to cut from. I've cut saddle skirting with the 1500. The 1500 also has a larger cutting surface to work with/from. A good thing about the 700 vs 1500 is you can easily move the 700 around by yourself for the most part - not so with the 1500. I've had the 1500 for approximately 4 years without a problem. I had the 700 for approximately a year with a number of issues. The 700 is fine for lighter weight leather and fewer cuts. My recommendation would be if you can afford to get the 1500, you'll be much happier and more satisfied with the effort.

That is what i thought. I did not want to cheep out because I know nothing is more expensive than having to buy something twice because you wanted to save a buck :rolleyes: .

I was hoping to get around the 500lb plus machine. Time to gather the friends for a beer and pizza night when this comes in.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Thanks K-Man that answersd my question.

Hi Chris,

The 700 is also a little small size wise for doing holsters, you can click a larger item in two or more repositionings, but eventually you screw up a die that way. Now years ago, Tippmann made the 2500 clicker which would click darned near anything, and like everything Tippmann, it was overbuilt and heavy as a CAT D4. If you owned one of those, you found it was easier to take it apart and move the pieces than move the whole thing. I have seen guys do the same with the 1500, it only takes about a half hour to take it apart into manageable pieces and put it back together. If you do a lot of Western Style holsters and belts, a big Schwab will be what you need to click in one pass, and you really need to hire someone to move that.

Art

That is what i thought. I did not want to cheep out because I know nothing is more expensive than having to buy something twice because you wanted to save a buck :rolleyes: .

I was hoping to get around the 500lb plus machine. Time to gather the friends for a beer and pizza night when this comes in.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Or......

You can take a look at our 10 TON Clicker - about 1400 pounds but on wheels!

We will have one in Sheridan next week if any of your folks are attending.

Thanks