ludwig

One More Newb And A Question ..

Hello!

I'm looking to get into leather working, and I'm trying to find a good starting point. I'm thinking of doing some classy biker wallets (I've fell in love with Steve B's work - www.steveb.biz) but I am unsure what my first purchase should be. I noticed that Tandy is having a sale on their deluxe kit right now (60$ instead of 160$) and i was wondering if this is a deal or if this is a sale that is pretty much year round and the kit isn't worth the price. If not, what would be a good starting point? I'm trying to keep it below 100 - 150 for my initial purchase, then just buy as I need after that. Also, there is no tandy store near me, so I'm kind of forced to do this all over the net.

Cheers, thanks for your help, hopefully I can join your ranks soon!

First off, welcome!. There's enough here to learn, for everyone.

E veryone wants tools at first. All you need is leather, a knife, a handmade awl, two harness needles, and a spool of thread. The most important thing to a leatherworker is his patterns. Not Tandy, or someone elses, your own.

If you hae a vision of a bikers wallet, then design it up on paper. Work it up in cardboard, finally get some scrap leather, and mock one up.. Nevermind designs on the leather. If that's what you finally want to do, you'll get the necessaary tools then.

Good luck, and hope we see pictures soon!

I'd echo everything that RDB has said. Patterns are what make your work different and hopefully better than anyone else's.

Make do with a craft knife until you find you can't work without a more expensive knife. I have one on my bench most of the time for trimming stuff up. Yes, I have a round knife and a range of other cutting tools, but you don't need 'em until you have something definite to make - so start by learning how to make good patterns.

My only additional suggestion is you invest in some scrap vinyl floor covering as it handles a lot like leather so you can use it to make your mistakes before making up a finished piece in expensive leather. I go to my local flooring guy and get his pattern books when they go out of date. Each book lasts me for months. If I want bigger pieces I catch him when he is clearing his truck out after a job and offer to take away the scraps. A few beers in payment every now and again never goes amiss.

Essentials for me would be some kind of razor sharp craft knife, an edge shave, awl, needles and thread and a very good quality rotary hole punch (don't buy a cheap one 'cos they don't last). Anything else you need will become obvious - for example: when you need to fit a snap then you will need to buy a snap setter. Until then, you don't need one. Obvious isn't it! LOL

Hope to see some of your work here very soon. Don't forget to post pictures - we like pictures!

Ray